Miller Outdoor Theatre

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
One of the great attractions in Houston is the Miller Outdoor Theatre located inside Hermann Park. The venue is extremely popular with Houstonians in the summer season (March to October). I follow their calender of events and make it a point to attend it whenever something interesting comes up. The venue was recently renovated at a cost of $2.2 million and mainly used for increasing the seating capacity by 200 in the covered area, raising the sloping hillside by 6 feet and last but not least improving the sound system. I had visited the theatre before the renovation as well as after the renovation and it sure made a difference to the sound system. The covered area has a canopy which actually is favouring the acoustics for the outdoors.

The Miller Outdoor Theatre is the premier outdoor theater for the performing arts in Houston, Texas. Located on approximately 7.5 acres (30,000 m2) of land in Hermann Park, at 100 Concert Drive, the theater offers a range of professional entertainment, including classical music, jazz, ballet, Shakespeare, musical theater, and classic films, with free performances running from March through October, where the general public can relax in a covered seating area or enjoy a pre-performance picnic on an amphitheatre-style hillside.[1]

Seating is provided for 1,582 patrons, with 27 wheel-chair spaces, plus an 80,000-square-foot (7,400 m2) sloping lawn that accommodates about 4,500 more.[2] The theater building itself consists of a 64' x 41' stage; 54 line sets for hanging lights, curtains, and scenery; an orchestra pit which can be raised and lowered; dressing rooms; offices; a full complement of theatrical equipment; and a 110-ton air conditioning system for cooling the performance area

I had attended some of the shows and some of them I could find on Youtube which I am providing a link for.

If you are by any chance intending to visit Houston try to plan to visit the Miller Outdoor Theatre - Its FREE!

Miller Outdoor Theatre Website

Disclaimer: The photos do not belong to me and therefore I do not own the rights.

Attachments

• IMG_5689_tonemapped-2-2.800w_600h.jpg
    IMG_5689_tonemapped-2-2.800w_600h.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 7,016
  • About-Miller-Outdoor.jpg
    About-Miller-Outdoor.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 26,458

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like a good venue, Quad :) Especially considering it's free!

We've got an outdoor arena a few minutes walk from where we live (perhaps enough for ~800 people), but it's very rarely used, which is a real shame indeed. I can only think of a handful of events per year, the rest of the time it just sits there empty!

Reaction score
Last time i was in Houston it was on the way to San Antonio.

Found the people of The Lone Star State to be very friendly.

Ask a Question