migration using USMT

ilona

Hi,
I plan to use USMT 2.5 to migrate user settings for a bunch of pcs migrating
from Windows NT to Windows XP. The machines being migrated are still on
Windows NT Domain. What are my options to automate the procedure of
accessing user accounts and logging in to their boxes to run scanstate.exe
that is a part of USMT?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

User State Migration in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/usmt.mspx

List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"ilona" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Hi,
| I plan to use USMT 2.5 to migrate user settings for a bunch of pcs migrating
| from Windows NT to Windows XP. The machines being migrated are still on
| Windows NT Domain. What are my options to automate the procedure of
| accessing user accounts and logging in to their boxes to run scanstate.exe
| that is a part of USMT?

ilona

I red those. The documentation I saw so far is talking about setting up each
desktop individually and making a user run scanstate.exe himself. We are
trying to have a domain admin or other admin to somehow - maybe
programmatically - get a list of user accounts, and for each user run
scanstate.exe - one by one for each user.

So that we can relieve users from doing it and have more control over
migration.

That is why I wonder what options are out there for automating the run of
scanstate.exe for multiple machines without some huge security risk of
disclosing passwords