Migration Questions

G

Hi All

I have this scenario which I am having a little trouble with.

We have PDC and BDC running NT4. There are number of servers being a member of the domain running applications mainly SQL, Lotus, Veritas netbackup and some anti-virus server software. There are about 250 workstation and 70% of the workstation is running Windows 2000 Pro, and Win XP. The rest are Win95 and Win98. Downtime should be minimized

We plan to migrate to Windows 2000. The managements insist on new installation instead of in place upgrade for the DC's. Further more, to keep costs low, we're have to re-use the current NT4 DC servers (which is capable of running W2k according to ACL). So this is what I plan to do

- Using another PC/Virtual machine, join to the NT4 Domain as BDC. Promote the PC/VM as PDC, and then remove the BDC server from NT4 domain
- Format the NT4 BDC machine and install Windows 2000 Server. Run DC promo
- Create Trusts from the W2K domain to the NT4 domain, so that users can continue using the resource servers
- Migrate the objects (user, group, and computer) to the W2K domain using ADMTv2
- Migrate resource servers (SQL, Lotus and etc) to W2k domain.
- Remove the trusts relationship and NT4 Domain completely

Concerns and Questions
1) What is the advantage of doing a new installation/parallel upgrade instead of in place upgrade
2) I need to reuse the same NT4 domain name in W2K domain. Is it possible
3) Using ADMT, do I need to disjoint my resource server and workstation from the NT4 domain and join the W2k domain
4) Since I need to migrate about 200 workstation from NT4 domain to W2K domain, will my user profile at the workstation end be affected? If so are there any tools to use so that the user profile migration would be faster/automated
5) Is the trust relationship sufficient for my workstations that have been migrated to W2K domain to access resource in NT4
6) Would it be better if we suggest an upgrade to W2003? Why

Am I doing this right? Is there a better way of doing this migration

John Ye
Malaysia

A

Anand Dusi [MSFT]

hello John Yeo,

looking at the scenario, the place upgrade would be a better option since it would bring the downtime to a
minimal .

here are the answers to your questions ,

2> YES ! it is possible to reuse the same NT4 domain name in W2K domain
3> YES ! Using ADMT you need to disjoint your resource server and workstation from the NT4 domain and join
the W2k domain .
4> YES ! During migrating about 200 workstation from NT4 domain to W2K domain, your user profile at the
workstation end WILL be affected . you can make use of the ADMT tool for user migration . Please refer to the
below link fr ADMT .

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/profwin/pw0402.mspx

5> yes ! The trust relationship is enough to access resource in NT4
6> YES ! IT would be a better option to upgrade to 2003 .. for advantages refer to the following link ,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/whyupgrade/top10best.mspx

Anand Dusi

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Ask a Question