Migrate DNS to another DC

Hayden

Hi:
We plan to phase out our old server that is the first Domain
Controller and DNS server of our Windows 2000 Active Directoy. We just
installed a new server and have it configured as the DC of our AD.
However, what is the proper way to migrate the DNS to this new server?

Should I simply configured the new server as the secondary DNS and
unplugged the old one from the network and expect everything will work
correctly?

Please advise and many thanks.

Kevin Bowersock

You can make your new server a secondary to get the zone transfer done and
then make it a primary.
You may also wish to make it active directory integerated
Don't forget that you have to let your client machines know where the DNS
server is. DHCP settings perhaps.
I would
1. install the new DNS server and verify that it is solid.
2. tell the clients (DHCP is best) that the NEW server is primary and the
OLD server is Secondary.
3. let that sit for one lease duration.
4. remove the secondary DNS ( OLD DNS) from the client config.

Hope that helps!
(e-mail address removed)

This posting is provided "AS IS"
with no warranties, and confers no rights
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Hayden)
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory