Windows XP Microsoft Windows 2000 Unofficial SP5 SR1

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Windows 2000 is still being used by many as Operating system of choice. Microsoft had released SP4 and after that no service packs came from Microsoft. If you still use the OS, its about time you downloaded the recently released Unofficial service pack which actually took almost a year to compile by the author.

Windows 98 Unofficial service pack also came out last year and went on to become very popular with users as it made the older OS stable and usable by many on their not so never machines. If you have slightly older machine say circa 2000 thereabouts Windows XP is not the preferred OS as it really takes up a lot of resources and makes the system slow in every respect. Windows 2000 should do the trick for you and with the Unofficial pack installed you need not worry much :)

Microsoft Windows 2000 Unofficial SP5 combines 168 hotfixes into a single hotfix - fully automated. It's not just a matter of determining file versions, there's much more to it. The interface is very easy to use since it's identical to a normal Windows update setup

Download Microsoft Windows 2000 Unofficial SP5 SR1

:thumb:

Reaction score
No SP5, I want it.

Oh another reason to switch to Linux.
SuSe is SUSE it will allways have upgrade fixes.

Reaction score
Suse...yesss much better. I have 9.5 and it rox!

I have a pre-release beta of vista (no..don't ask!) and its pretty *ahem... gay. I also have the new 64-bit version of xp (a bit quicker but gay too). 2000 is great but where is "msconfig" ???? anyone know?

kel

Reaction score
windows millenium edition?

hI. i'M TRYING TO SORT OUT MY MATES WINDOWS "MILLENIUM EDITION" PC....

Just noticed this thread , and was wondering, is windows 2000 the same OS as Millenium Edition?

The problem with his system is that, either due to a bug or virus (I havn't pinned it down yet) the monitor keeps switching off at the desktop stage upon rebooting...

Full thread here:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=7311752#post7311752

main question:

WINDOWS MILLENIUM EDITION = WINDOWS 2000...SAME OS OR NOT?

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Windows Millenium is dressed up version of Windows 98 and uses FAT 32 file system. Windows 2000 is derived from Windows NT and uses NTFS file system as well as FAT 32 which is same as what Windows XP has.

In my opinion Windows 2000 is very stable compared to Windows Millenium. Wndows 2000 has limited gaming support as it is geared more towards the professionls and Windows Millenium is geared for home users. I personally would stay away from Windows Millenium as there more issues to deal with compared to Windows 2000. Both operating systems are no longer supported by Microsoft.

Reaction score
ME is fat32 and cant read NTFS.

Oh I like 2000 better than XP. XP might be faster but I dont like all the extra crap like updates that ya have to do.

Download 2000 SP4 and Directx 9 and games will work good on it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/default.asp

ME is crap if ya upgrade over 98 do a clean install and its ok.

SUSE has a 64bit version Im using 32bit.

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Direct X 9 needs compatible VGA card to utilise the new version. Installing DirectX 9 is OK as it has backward compatibility. Check VGA card to find out what it actually supports, latest cards of course would support it.

People who use latest gadgets invariably find Windows XP much better to work with.

Reaction score
Thanks Quadrophile for putin me to work.

I have SP4.

I think Ill be busy downloadin 2000 SP5 now.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4817.html

Ya most PCs that were built when 2000 came out dont have a new video card.

I forgot about this since I got 2000 on my home built PC with DX9 card.

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Every OS that Microsoft comes out with has bugs security flaws, compatibility issues etc which requires updates. In my opinion Longhorn will be no different. Only time will tell :)

Ask a Question