Excel Microsoft Excel Hyperlink Problem

Reaction score
Need Help -FAST - Microsoft Excel Hyperlink Problem

Can someone please help me with Microsoft Excel. I have never had a problem activating a hyperlink, and I've been using Excel for a number of years. All of a sudden I receive a popup that says "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I am the only person using is PC. I am running Windows XP/Pro and the version of Excel is 2003.

Can someone please help?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Operating System & version of Office would have helped us to help you FASTER!
Oh forgot your a 1 post wonder & have probably found the answer already!!

Reaction score
Not found yet

Nope, not found yet. Still looking for help. Simply forgot to post OS and Excel version. All help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information... In there you'll find what OS you are using and what version of office you are using...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information... In there you'll find what OS you are using and what version of office you are using...

Larry updated the first post with the info :thumb:

I am running Windows XP/Pro and the version of Excel is 2003.

I think you need to follow the steps on this Microsoft KB page to fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307818

Reaction score
Thanks a Million !!!!!

I followed the thread, completed the actions described and . . . . .voila! It worked. Problem solved.

Thanks for you help.

Larry S

Reaction score
Hi

I'm running Windows XP/Pro and Excel 2002, and I too have a hyperlink problem

I've tried to use the =hyperlink function in excel but I'm not sure how the pathname should be written.

We have two computers on a network, imaginatively named PC1 & PC3 (PC2 was retired sometime ago). An excel file sites on PC1, as do the documents we want to link to. We need to be able to open the excel file and the links from PC3. Both relative file paths and setting the file root in excel have not worked. I saw that the =hyperlink function was suggested as a solution to similar problems and thought I'd give it a shot.

I have tried a variety of pathnames in the =hyperlink function but always receive the error "Cannot open the specified path".

I searched the web but couldn't find anything that described how to write the file path correctly in excel. Can anyone tell me the correct syntax?

Cheers

David

Ask a Question