Microsoft $35.00 Paid Support Experience

its_my_dime

After a series of unsuccessful attempts to fix a USB problem, I filled in
the form and gave Microsoft a credit card # to charge $35.00.

I then started exchanging emails with a rep who made a series of
suggestions, all of which I had tried (per my initial description of the
problem) and none of which worked.

Ultimately, the rep suggested that I call them which I did. I spent more
than two hours on the telephone with a new rep. Most of the time, I was on
long holds while the rep searched out and came back with solutions, all of
which, per previous correspondence and documentation, had been tried and
failed.

Finally, he suggested that I run a REPAIR on Windows but he was unable to
say why this would help and said someone would call back (we agreed on 5:00
pm the next day)

At 5:30 pm, the phone rang and a new voice asked: "What can I do for you?"
I asked if he had read the previous material, and he said he had been "too
busy". So I went through he same story again and he suggested a REPAIR. I
asked if having loaded SP1 followed by SP2 would make a difference and he
said it would not. And again, he had no idea how the REPAIR would solve the
problem.

Of course, the REPAIR crippled my computer (Gateway later told me that it
won't work with the SP1 - SP2 combination. ) I was able to back up my data
(which is generally up to date anyway) and I had to do a complete reformat -
XP reinstall - SP2 reinstall - Software and data reinstall. You have all
been there, I'm sure. It took a weekend and several evenings to get
everything back and working.

And, of course, the original problem (that may relate to hardware, not
software -- still not sure) is still there.

I filled in the service evaluation form appropriately and immediately
started receiving emails from a supervisor who hoped I was pleased with
their service. When I again said I was not and this time asked for a refund
of my $35.00, he stopped writing.

So, conclusions:

1) The people at Microsoft's paid support know nothing more than the
material that is already on the Microsoft web site. This is their major?
only? source of information. They basically tell you what you can read
yourself.

2) They don't thoroughly read through and make an attempt to understand and
evaluate the material and information that you send to or tell them, or
which is otherwise in the case file, before proposing solutions. My feeling
is that they do a "key word" search and tell you whatever they find without
determining whether it is relevant or appropriate to your particular problem
at that time..

3) They know a great deal less and are much worse communicators than the
MVP's on the Microsoft boards, and less than many of the talented amateurs
on these boards as well.

4) Ultimately, and when all else fails, they will revert to the usual
outsourcing "time to get them off the phone" technique of telling you to
REPAIR or reinstall the operating system. They will do this even if they
have no idea what the problem or the mechanism that is causing it might be,
and even if they don't know whether the REPAIR will even work or the REPAIR/
reinstall will make resolve the initial problem..

Based on this experience, I give Microsoft Paid Support a failing grade and
do NOT recommend it to anyone capable of posting on this or other Microsoft
groups, or searching Microsoft web site.

In fact, you may be better off living with a problem that following Paid
Support's advice or suggestions.

Big surprise huh?

its_my_dime said:
[...]

David Candy

Yeah, we've all known that for years. I've never been charged as they never managed to fix anything. Try HP's. They call you back 6 months later and tell you the workaround you told them about.

There isn't that much MS can do without a big investment in time and physical access to the computer. Only large companies normally get this.

R. McCarty

If you pay for support and after 15-20 minutes have no solution
immediately ask to be elevated to the next tier support level or
speak to the supervisor. A paid call should never take beyond a
30-minute window to resolve. Front Line support should not
waste your time with random, scattershot approaches to fix the
issue. They either know the answer or they don't.

t.cruise

HP is really the nadir of the top name brand systems. HP was the first major company to
stop shipping CDs, and put the software and OS restore on a hidden partition, which caused
many problems. The first series of systems with hidden partitions would not run a restore
routine if the system had a change of hardware (e.g. changing the CD ROM drive to a
CDR/CD-RW. It was a mess. A client purchased a system which had a sticker on the front
of the tower (and on the box) saying that it was fully upgradeable. My client wanted to
disable the integrated video, and install an ATI card which was required for his video
editing software. First tech support said that installing the card would automatically
disable the integrated video (I had already checked the BIOS to see if I could disable it
from there). Well tech support was wrong. Finally I got with a supervisor, who informed
me that an upgrade was being written for the BIOS, which would allow for disabling the
integrated video. I asked when it would be available. He was vague, saying probably
within a few months. I explained that his answer was unacceptable. I said that the
system was advertised as being fully upgradeable (I bet HP will not use that line in their
advertising copy again), and that adding or removing a display adapter card is something
basic. He said that he did not know what he could do. I said that I knew what he could
do, authorize crediting the purchaser's credit card for the amount of the purchase price
of the system, and have a FedEx truck pick it up for return to HP at their expense. He
said that it had been more than 5 months since purchase, and therefore HP's policy would
not allow for the system to be returned. I explained that since the advertising on the
box was false and misleading, that the credit card company would not find in HP's favor.
He put me on hold for about 1 minute. I got an immediate credit for my client's credit
card, and the system was picked up the next day at HP's expense.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message Yeah, we've all known that for years. I've never been charged as they never managed to fix
anything. Try HP's. They call you back 6 months later and tell you the workaround you told
them about.

There isn't that much MS can do without a big investment in time and physical access to
the computer. Only large companies normally get this.

David Candy

Mine was for a very, very, very, expensive printer. The printer is a DHCP client. The drivers aren't. So if you turned it off it might get a new IP address so noone could print without rerunning some stupid setup program. Plus it wouldn't take paper from the big tray. Plus it arrived smashed.

1. Reconfigure network and never turn printer off.
2. Spend two days d/l (at about 1 byte an hour) a stupid program (Jet something) to flash the printer's BIOS. Why it wasn't on the driver CD beats me.

Then it decided to be picky about who could print from where. Everyone could print from at least one workstation. And all workstations had at least one user who could print. But the most users couldn't print from their workstation. The work around was to delete then recreate the user. That's what HP rang me back 6 months later and said the workaround I told them. MS support had no idea (although they said there was a secret KB that might apply) and didn't ring back at all. I searched both secret and public KB for the next year and there was nothing. PS The secret KB is pathetic - 1/2 is because it mentions a company by name. The other 1/2 had no reason to be secret and was common advice in groups.

First time I contacted MS support was in 94. I wanted SVGA drivers for WfW311. I had an ET3000 video card without a VESA BIOS. I wanted to know if it would work on my card. They said yes, I was doubtful. They were wrong. But my Compaq SVGA monitor turned out not to be SVGA anyway.

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641

--------
its_my_dime said:
[...]

PA Bear

Contact Product Support Service about your experience, dimey:
(e-mail address removed).