Message Threading

Jerry Baker

Hi,

Does Microsoft have any documentation on how mail clients other than
Outlook are supposed to thread messages that come from Outlook (since
they're too stubborn to use In-Reply-To or References headers)? Outlook
messages are seriously polluting the mailing lists I belong to by
breaking the threading.

Thanks.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

And why would Microsoft bother to document other mail clients behavior? Ask
your mail client provider for THEIR documentation.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Jerry Baker asked:

| Hi,
|
| Does Microsoft have any documentation on how mail clients other than
| Outlook are supposed to thread messages that come from Outlook (since
| they're too stubborn to use In-Reply-To or References headers)?
| Outlook messages are seriously polluting the mailing lists I belong
| to by breaking the threading.
|
| Thanks.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

What mailing list servers? Outlook normally won't break threads on Lsoft and
Yahoogroups lists - but will on any list server that rewrites the subject
line to add the [list name] before the Re:.

Jerry Baker

Milly said:
And why would Microsoft bother to document other mail clients behavior?

I'm asking them to document how one should thread messages that are
posted using Outlook. It is Microsoft that decided to not include
In-Reply-To headers and it is Microsoft that decided not to include
References headers, so it should be Microsoft that explains how one
should accommodate their broken email program.

Jerry Baker

Diane said:
What mailing list servers? Outlook normally won't break threads on Lsoft and
Yahoogroups lists - but will on any list server that rewrites the subject
line to add the [list name] before the Re:.

No mail client other than Outlook can thread messages from Outlook.
That's where it's broken. Outlook omits standard headers used by every
other email program on the planet to thread messages.

Brian Tillman

Jerry Baker said:
Does Microsoft have any documentation on how mail clients other than
Outlook are supposed to thread messages that come from Outlook (since
they're too stubborn to use In-Reply-To or References headers)?
Outlook messages are seriously polluting the mailing lists I belong
to by breaking the threading.

I have no trouble with threading with the mailing lists I receive via
Outlook. Care to describe the problem in some detail?

Jerry Baker

Brian said:
I have no trouble with threading with the mailing lists I receive via
Outlook. Care to describe the problem in some detail?

Yes. Use any other email program on the planet and you will see what I
mean. Are you surprised that it works in Outlook? Of course it does.

Alan

Jerry Baker said:
Yes. Use any other email program on the planet and you will see what I
mean. Are you surprised that it works in Outlook? Of course it does.

Very descriptive and helpful ........

Jerry Baker

Alan said:
Very descriptive and helpful ........

I do believe that the way to report a bug is to report the issue being
observed, and the conditions necessary to duplicate it. I have done
both. Is there some other information that is required?

Brian Tillman

Jerry Baker said:
Yes. Use any other email program on the planet and you will see what I
mean. Are you surprised that it works in Outlook? Of course it does.

I use several mail programs. All seem to behave in a similar fashion when I
receive messages from mailing lists.