Message Rules & Junk Email filter

R

Rajan Moorjaney

Hello Friends,

I am using Outlook 2003, and I created some "Message Rules".

The problem is, unlike in Outlook Express, the email is getting "copied" instead of getting "moved".

So if I have message rule 1 (Family), which is

- if message is from (e-mail address removed), an email gets copied to 'Family' folder.

Then, for message rule 2 (Me), I have any message to (e-mail address removed), an additional email gets COPIED to 'Me' folder.

I checked 'Stop processing more rules for this message'.

Now it works fine, but I am wondering why I had to do it. It wasn't necessary while I was using Outlook Express.

Another unusual thing that is happening, I been using "Action - Junk E-mail - Add sender to Blocked Senders List" to block spam.

When I click 'Send/Receive Mail' and am receiving the mail, I find some of these incoming mail, stay for a second in the "Junk Mail" folder, and then move into the respective folder.

So (e-mail address removed) to (e-mail address removed) stays for a moment - while the message is being downloaded - in the 'Junk Mail' folder, and then my 'Message Rules' moves them to 'Me' folder.

I would appreciate your advice to resolve this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Rajan

K

Kurt Hudson [MVP DS]

I've seen similar problems - my guess is this occurs because the rules are processed asynchronously (instead of synchronously in order). Here is what I did to solve it. I changed the order of my message rules and I ensured there were exceptions to the other rules. For example, in rule #1 I ensure that the conditions that match rule #2 are excepted. This way, rule #1 won't do anything to a message that should be handled by rule #2. After making those changes, I found that my duplicate message problems went away. I never did figure out if I was correct about the synchronous versus asynchronous processing of rules. Good luck!
Hello Friends,

The problem is, unlike in Outlook Express, the email is getting "copied" instead of getting "moved".

- if message is from (e-mail address removed), an email gets copied to 'Family' folder.

Then, for message rule 2 (Me), I have any message to (e-mail address removed), an additional email gets COPIED to 'Me' folder.

Now it works fine, but I am wondering why I had to do it. It wasn't necessary while I was using Outlook Express.

Another unusual thing that is happening, I been using "Action - Junk E-mail - Add sender to Blocked Senders List" to block spam.

When I click 'Send/Receive Mail' and am receiving the mail, I find some of these incoming mail, stay for a second in the "Junk Mail" folder, and then move into the respective folder.

So (e-mail address removed) to (e-mail address removed) stays for a moment - while the message is being downloaded - in the 'Junk Mail' folder, and then my 'Message Rules' moves them to 'Me' folder.

Thank you in advance.

Rajan

R

Rajan Moorjaney

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned, I resolved the problem by 'checking' 'Stop Processing More Rules' checkbox.

But how do I apply the 'Junk Mail' filter?

The spam that I block using "Action - Junk E-mail - Add sender to Blocked Senders List" first comes correctly to the 'Junk Mail' folder,

and then

the 'Message Rules' get applied and the spam stuff gets moved from the 'Junk Mail' folder to the 'Me' folder.

I've seen similar problems - my guess is this occurs because the rules are processed asynchronously (instead of synchronously in order). Here is what I did to solve it. I changed the order of my message rules and I ensured there were exceptions to the other rules. For example, in rule #1 I ensure that the conditions that match rule #2 are excepted. This way, rule #1 won't do anything to a message that should be handled by rule #2. After making those changes, I found that my duplicate message problems went away. I never did figure out if I was correct about the synchronous versus asynchronous processing of rules. Good luck!
Hello Friends,

Thank you in advance.

Rajan

Ask a Question