Memory errors, faulty L2 Cache?

Reaction score
Well, this story startet when memory-demanding programs, like scanning for virus, got my Windows XP to freeze or crash.
Bad memory was my first thought, so i run "memtest-86" to locate the problem. During Test 5 (Block move, 64 moves), errors startet to show up. I had 3 memory modules available, so I started to test them one by one. I also tried to relocate the module, but still got errors.

Then I tried to disable the L2 cache memory in BIOS. No more errors were detected. Running without L2 cache is not so fun, so I enabled it again and started to reduce the clockspeed on my Pentium III, 933 MHz CPU to se if that helped. And yes it did.
Now I'm running a 933 MHz CPU as an 805 MHz free from errors. Do I have to live with that or is it anything else I can do?

I appreciate all your help and suggestions. Thanks!

Motherboard: Asus CLUSL2 (370), Intel 815E, PC133
CPU: Intel Pentium, 933 MHz, FCPGA, 256 L2 Cache
Memory: PC133 SDRAM
BIOS: Updated (1009A)

Last edited:
Reaction score
have you tried updating your motherboard drivers and firmware?

sometimes updating your drivers and firmware do improve sluggish machines.

Looking at your Spec, its a pretty low spec compared to todays high ends, try doing the above and see if that works.

regards Gav

Reaction score
Yep, my BIOS is running with latest firmware. "memtest-86" is started in DOS, so I don't think there are more I can update.

Ask a Question