Memory.dmp

Peter

Hi,
We have a Win2k server running a telephony system.
The server has rebooted a copule of time reporting:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck
was: 0x00000044 (0x85082008, 0x00000cca, 0x00000000,
0x00000000). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was
saved in: C:\WINNT\MEMORY.DMP.

How can i found out what causes the reboot? Is there any
tool for reading Memory.dmp to find out what application
that caused the crash?

I think you can use notepad or wordpad to view the .dmp file. Have you already tried that?

Yes, I've tried that. But reading a 1GB large file in wordpad or Notepad results in more memory.dmp files... ;-
I thought that there was som tool by Microsoft that was made to do analysis of dmp-files
An alternative is tools like Ultra-edit, however they require licensing..

Any idea?

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject: Memory.dmp
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 06:42:49 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

Hi,
We have a Win2k server running a telephony system.
The server has rebooted a copule of time reporting:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck
was: 0x00000044 (0x85082008, 0x00000cca, 0x00000000,
0x00000000). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was
saved in: C:\WINNT\MEMORY.DMP.

How can i found out what causes the reboot? Is there any
tool for reading Memory.dmp to find out what application
that caused the crash?
-----

Peter,

A memory dump is a copy of what was in memory at the time the bugcheck happened. This means the dump contains
code and has to be analyzed using a debugging program.

You can obtain debugging tools from the site below.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/ddk/debugging/default.mspx

If you are not familiar with debugging code you may want to open a support incident to have the dump analyzed for you.
You might also want to search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for "stop 0x00000044" to see if you find anything useful.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Doug Allen [MSFT]

Peter,

This wouldn't be a Compaq / HP box by chance would it? If so, that's a
known issue with their driver CPQASM.SYS.

--
Doug Allen, Windows 2000 MCSE