From: "Jack Gillis" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:29 PM
Subject: Media Player vs. On Line Store

I have Windows Media Player 11 installed on my Desktop and my Laptop --
same build on each and both machines running XP SP3. On the desktop, when
I open a wav, wma, mp3 or any other music file, Media Player tries to get
me to download Napster. On the laptop, it just opens to the Now Playing
List. I've no desire to have Napster or any other such service as I've
enough CD's to last me for quite a while. As far as I can tell, I have
Media Player set up the same on both machines.

What can I do to get the desktop to open to the Now Playing List whenever
I open a music file?

Thank you.

Revised:

I now find, using Regedit, that Napster appears under Services on the
Laptop. That would account for Media Player not trying to download Napster
when started by clicking on the icon for a music file. How it got there,
like J. Buffett, I haven't a clue.

Anyway. on my desktop, if I open a music file from its icon, Media Player
opens playing the song but with the window showing "Contacting the Online
Store." And then "contacting the online store" is replaced with a notice
saying "Napster not detected" and directing me to get Napster. I can get
rid of that by switching to Library. However, the next time I select a song
from its icon that dumb Napster message comes back. There is no mention of
Napster in the registry of the Desktop. The Media Guide is the only entry
in the drop down for the online store.

If I start Media Player from Start/All Programs, it opens with the Library
showing. Only if I open it by clicking on a music file icon do I nagged
about Napster not being detected.

I have run Spybot, Ad-aware and AVG but they all show no problems. I really
don't want to download Napster just to see if doing so will eliminate the
problem.

I reinstalled Media Player but that didn't solve the problem either. I
finally restored an Acronis image of my pre-SP3 system but the same problem
occurred so I guess that rules out SP3 as the culprit. (BTW, I've had no
problems installing or running with SP3.)

Can some one please help me get rid of this nagging thing?

Thanks once again.