Media files play, but no file in directory

I have all my music (about 1000 tracks/files) on one drive.
However, using Windows Explorer, in name order (A-Z), I can only view A-M
(557 tracks/files).
Yet, when playing a file in Media Player, it plays fine.

In WMP, right click on a file, Properties shows
eg. L:\Sugar babes - Red Dress.mp3
Yet, when Open File Location is selected, the file is not there.

Any ideas???

Thanks
Paul

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Paul said:
I have all my music (about 1000 tracks/files) on one drive.
However, using Windows Explorer, in name order (A-Z), I can only view A-M
(557 tracks/files).
Yet, when playing a file in Media Player, it plays fine.

In WMP, right click on a file, Properties shows
eg. L:\Sugar babes - Red Dress.mp3
Yet, when Open File Location is selected, the file is not there.

Any ideas???

Thanks
Paul

Try moving the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen to the right.

Pegasus (MVP) said:
Try moving the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen to the right.

There isn't a scroll bar to scroll right.
Listing is in Details View.

There isn't a scroll bar to scroll right.
Listing is in Details View.

I have tried searching for ALL music on ALL drives.
When putting into order, again only up to M are displayed.
Command Prompt also shows the same details....up to M

I am also able to play these 'invisible' tracks in iTunes (which i rarely use)
iTunes shows 1107 songs.
Again, when selecting option to "show in windows explorer" it takes me to my
L drive and no file there.
Thanks

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Paul said:
I have tried searching for ALL music on ALL drives.
When putting into order, again only up to M are displayed.
Command Prompt also shows the same details....up to M

I am also able to play these 'invisible' tracks in iTunes (which i rarely
use)
iTunes shows 1107 songs.
Again, when selecting option to "show in windows explorer" it takes me to
my
L drive and no file there.
Thanks

Let's have a screen shot of your problem. Here is how you
can get one:
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Open the problem folder.
3. Scroll to the very bottom.
4. Press PrtSc on your keyboard.
5. Open Word or Wordpad.
6. Click Edit/Paste.
7. Save the file.
8. Attach it to your reply.

You should also check if the same problem occurs when
using "My Computer" instead of "Windows Explorer".

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Paul said:
Word document prepared, but no option for attaching a document....

I suspect you're posting from a browser interface.
Much better to use Outlook Express as your
newsreader. Here are the details you need to specify:

News server: news.microsoft.com
Newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

You will then be able to attach messages to your posts.

Paul Randall

Pegasus (MVP) said:
Let's have a screen shot of your problem. Here is how you
can get one:
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Open the problem folder.
3. Scroll to the very bottom.
4. Press PrtSc on your keyboard.
5. Open Word or Wordpad.
6. Click Edit/Paste.
7. Save the file.
8. Attach it to your reply.

You should also check if the same problem occurs when
using "My Computer" instead of "Windows Explorer".

Wouldn't it be better to paste the screen shot into MSPaint and save it in
PNG format? I think most windows except those containing millions of colors
should compress much smaller in PNG format without losing any readability.
Plus, there would be no Wordpad overhead. Might also be a good idea to
have OP add .txt after the .png extension to reduce the chance of security
software from stripping out the attachment.

-Paul Randall

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Paul Randall said:
Wouldn't it be better to paste the screen shot into MSPaint and save it in
PNG format? I think most windows except those containing millions of
colors should compress much smaller in PNG format without losing any
readability.
-Paul Randall

A quick test shows this on my machine:
MSPaint 80 kBytes (.png format)
MS Word 110 kBytes
Wordpad 110 kBytes (.doc file)
MSPaint 135 kBytes (.jpg format)
Wordpad 4.8 MBytes (.rtf file)

MSPaint in .png format is better than any of the
others but not by a margin sufficiently large to
get me really excited.

Paul cuthbert

Wouldn't it be better to paste the screen shot into MSPaint and save it in
PNG format? I think most windows except those containing millions of
colors should compress much smaller in PNG format without losing any
readability. Plus, there would be no Wordpad overhead. Might also be a
good idea to have OP add .txt after the .png extension to reduce the
chance of security software from stripping out the attachment.

-Paul Randall

I have tried (twice now) to upload a Word and Wordpad document, but they are
still not showing here.
I have pasted into Paint and saved as JPG and inserted into the document,
but 1 image is still over 1MB!
I'll have a try for PNG file.
Thanks

Gary S. Terhune

Do not post images to this newsgroup. Upload such things as screen shots to
some personal webspace and then post a link here.

Paul cuthbert

Paul Randall

Will search find it if you search for "all files and folders" instead of
"Pictures, music, or video"?

Actually, I think this is a very old and well-known problem. Isn't there
some limit on the number of entries there can be in the root directory of a
drive?

-Paul Randall

Paul

I've never had this problem before.
It probably started a few weeks ago - I can't remember when exactly, as I
usually just use Media Player.
I have searched MS Help web page but couldn't find anything that looked like
a solution.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

I asked you to report if the problem is restricted to "explorer.exe"
or if it occurs with "My Computer" too.

Does it occur in Safe Mode too?

Paul

Soz - been away for a few days.
Problem is still there.
I have tried to boot up in safe mode to check drive ... there in lays
another problem...
literally 1 second after the screen comes up with my profile and
Administrator options,
the PC reboots itself.
Ideas on a post card...

Neither going to the drive under My Computer, Windows Explorer or even
Command Prompt
shows any other files N to Z

Thanks.

Gary S. Terhune

Spontaneous restarts, especially during a boot to Safe Mode, screams
hardware. But it usually occurs before the logon prompt, and it is usually
repeated in Normal Mode. That requires further diagnosis. Could be tied in
to your other issue, could be entirely separate.

I'm at a loss with regard to the loss of file visibility. Test that drive
using a utility that is based upon a bootable floppy or CD. Leave Windows
out of the loop. Drive's manufacturer is the place to go for the utility, or
I believe Seagate's tools work well with most drives. I forget... Have you
run chkdsk /f /r? Or any chkdsk? I recommend you have your personal data
backed up first, but that might be difficult under the circumstances.