Me Plantz

Reaction score
Hi Flopps.

Herbs are easy to grow.Try sage,Oregano,mint etc.
My wife has even got a sage plant from a bunch of sage bought in the supermarket.She just selected a likely looking sprig popped it into water,and with a few weeks roots appeard.Put it in a pot,as it grows pot it on,that is put it into a larger pot,and there you are.Smashing with chicken. Give it a go.
historian.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Fresh BASIL leaves will help keep ants away. So me knowledgeable friendly which tells me.

nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
historian and abarb - thanks :)

After reading Alf's link i cut all the fresh shoots from the stem of the yukka.

Also re-potted a couple of plants yesterday cos they is growing and am making another large wooden pot holder for one of the big plants, gotta look better than that horrible plastic square white pot.

Herbs eh? Might give that a go.

In the days of my misspent youth had some considerable success growing a different kind of herb ;)

Especially in Cornwall, where it's often sunny.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Any update on the plants Mr Flopp's and errrrr the Herby's..:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Things have changed a bit since.

No herbs.

Yet.

Why do some die and some thrive?

The red one died after I re-potted it :(

I still happy with things though, apart, I suppose, from plants that have died have cost money and there's no guarantee, is there?

Pix soon, if anybody's interested.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Way it is sometimes Tony!

When you repot always make sure you get the root ball in its entirety and when putting the soil in make sure you press it down really hard into the pot, compacting it into every crevice until the pot is full making sure to really push the soil really tightly, as the plant likes lots of support, if the soil is to loose the roots won't take!

I liked the red Cordyline too..Shame that!

You live and learn eh..Yep look forward to the pics mate

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Update, as requested by the member with legs that are crazy :D

Taken today (30th September 2010, a sunny day, about 13:00 hours):

001.jpg

I made another plant pot container, that green stained wooden thingie. This one was made mostly from the bottom slats of a dumped bunk bed:

002.jpg

The yukka's improved. I took advice given here and pulled off lots of lower leaves and also cut off any shoots that had started to grow from the stem:

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

This one still looking a little sorry for itself but at least the munching seems to have stopped. I did use some ant killer, that stuff they supposed to take back the nest, seems to have worked.

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

That's a lavendar plant on the wooden stool, it's lost all it's coloured flowery bits. Is that supposed to happen come autumn time?

009.jpg

A couple of spider shots. In the second shot I disurbed it and it scurried for cover in the plant:

010.jpg

011.jpg

That's a funny plant, oh wait - it's me push bike. The one me mate pulled out of skip. It works ;)

012.jpg

Finally, I have three of these flight cases, two pictured here, good condition, professional fittings, free to collector. If you're interested, PM me. I could also deliver within reasonable distance for petrol money.

If no takers within a week or so I'm going to remove all the fittings and throw the rest away. The third is in my lockup at Orpington, btw.

013.jpg

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Nice pics Mr Flopp's as always!

Yep that Lavendula will go skeletal over the autumn and winter so don't worry, the Yucca is looking very tasty indeed..
You sure your mate lifted that bike from a skip..:D

Do like that variegated Laurel, that'll grow big if you let it..

Do I spy an old speaker stand in the corner!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Do I spy an old speaker stand in the corner!

Nope, that's a metal candle holder I found dumped in the bin room. It was covered in wax when I found it but I've cleaned it up.

Also found that white slatted folding table behind the chairs dumped in bin room, the folding device was broken but I fixed it.

Now all I need is loads of people for a party on the patio (copyright - ZZ Top) and I'll be able to use it :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Super pics Flopps :thumb: Plants are looking good, you evidently have a green thumb!! :D

Sir Floppington, can I ask about your cream/green storage thingy please?

Are they really weather-proof? We've looked at a few on sale around here, but wondered if they would be prone to condensation gathering inside?

The reason I'm asking, is that we could do with something like that to store wild birdseed, (running out of space in the shed :( ) but naturally, it needs to be dry. Thank you in advance :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TC: Yes, they are waterproof, in my experience. Both of them. And as they're not airtight they're not prone to condensation at all.

The only problem you get with moisture getting in is lifting the lid during or after a rainfall as quite a bit of water gathers on the top. If this isn't squeejeed and sponged off and the lid made dry all that water flows down the rear wall of the container when the lid is lifted.

Of course, I can only vouch for the ones I have, got them in Homebase, as I recall.

In one I have my drills; component trays (screws rawplugs etc); main toolbox; instrument case with several items in and two 'briefcases' full of audio connectors and leads.

In the other I have allsorts - paint; mains cable; electronic components in trays, two buckets and a mop bucket; a suitcase full of shoes and boots; another drill, jigsaw and four cushions for the patio dining table chairs.

None of that stuff gets wet even during the heaviest of downpours.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Flopps, thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. :thumb: It sounds like one of those might be ideal here. We're due for a little prowl around Homebase, so will see what they've got. :D

Ask a Question