McAfee site advisor ... Red Flags

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'll put aside my hate for McrapAfee for one moment, but would like to comment on a "program" McAfee "acquired" and distribute for FREE

McAfee site advisor is an outstanding free program that I recommend everyone use.

It works by checking the sites listed in web search results with a rating indicating whether the sites are safe or not. "Safe" here means the site does offer any infected downloads, has links to sites have infected downloads or is a known spammer of users who provide the site their email addresses.

It's a great product that prevents surfers accidentally straying to hostile sites but it's not perfect.

Every week I see people worried about sites that I have recommended that get flagged in red by SiteAdvisor. In almost all cases the sites involved are totally kosher. In fact, some are reputable computer security sites. They have been incorrectly flagged by SiteAdvisor because they contain links to bad sites. Now, almost every security site has links to bad sites because it's hard to discuss these bad sites professionally without giving the URL.

Got to laugh, WCG is listed as Yellow, now I don't know who/what/why, but I can assure you all, it is a "safe" site to visit.

The moral here is to use your common sense when looking at Site Advisor results. Site Advisor is great guide but it is not perfect. That said, if you are not using Site Advisor go get it now.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/

Enjoy!
:user:

Ask a Question