MAY DAY - I need a GENIUS for help on a USB issue!!!!

G

I am running Windows XP Pro with SP1 and have what I think are the latest USB2.0 drivers installed (Enhanced Controller (B1)). I am running a PCI USB controller card with 5 ports. I have a VIA chipset on the motherboard. When I connect my Kingston DataTraveler 1GB removable pen drive, the "Remove Safely" icon appears in the system tray, but Windows Explorer does not see the new drive. However, Device Manager shows all devices working properly and shows a USB mass storage device (working properly), a second drive appears under "Disk Drives", and a "Generic Volume" mass storage device becomes present. Windows applications like Excel and Word recognize the drive (it even has a letter designation) and can access its contents. Again the problems are: 1) Windows Explorer and My Computer do not see the drive and 2) the drive cannot be removed safely from the system tray (if this is attempted, nothing happens, but after trying Windows Explorer hangs like it is trying to find the "lost drive"). I NEED A HERO OUT THERE TO HELP ME!!

G

-----Original Message-----
I am running Windows XP Pro with SP1 and have what I
think are the latest USB2.0 drivers installed (Enhanced
Controller (B1)). I am running a PCI USB controller card
with 5 ports. I have a VIA chipset on the motherboard.
When I connect my Kingston DataTraveler 1GB removable pen
drive, the "Remove Safely" icon appears in the system
tray, but Windows Explorer does not see the new drive.
However, Device Manager shows all devices working
properly and shows a USB mass storage device (working
properly), a second drive appears under "Disk Drives",
and a "Generic Volume" mass storage device becomes
present. Windows applications like Excel and Word
recognize the drive (it even has a letter designation)
and can access its contents. Again the problems are: 1)
Windows Explorer and My Computer do not see the drive and
2) the drive cannot be removed safely from the system
tray (if this is attempted, nothing happens, but after
trying Windows Explorer hangs like it is trying to find
the "lost drive"). I NEED A HERO OUT THERE TO HELP ME!!!

F

Fred S

Mark,

Is it possible that you have Tweak UI running? If so, be sure to enable the drives that windows recognizes. Be sure that a checkmark is present for the drive letters desired - that is located under the My Computer tab in TweakUI.

Fred

A

Alex Nichol

mark said:
Device Manager shows all devices working properly and shows a USB mass storage device (working properly), a second drive appears under "Disk Drives", and a "Generic Volume" mass storage device becomes present. Windows applications like Excel and Word recognize the drive (it even has a letter designation) and can access its contents. Again the problems are: 1) Windows Explorer and My Computer do not see the drive and 2) the drive cannot be removed safely from the system tray (if this is attempted, nothing happens, but after trying Windows Explorer hangs like it is trying to find the "lost drive")

Use TweakUI - one of the XP Powertoys from (if you have installed XP
SP1)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

If you have not installed SP1, the earlier version can be found at
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

Once installed you will find it in Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
Windows XP

In its My Computer - Drives section, ensure that the letter used for the
drive is checked and Apply. You might as well have all letters checked

Ask a Question