Original msg.....

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:43:15 -0500

I searched all of the web and usenet and couldn't find this answer, so
I tried it out myself and now I'm sharing the info for any other who
have the same question.

I purchased a 40GB Maxtor External Drive 3000LE, its has a USB 2.0
interface:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/external/personal_storage_3000/personal_storage_3000le/index.htm

First job was to put in a larger drive, I threw in a 7200RPM 120GB WD
drive. Taking apart the enclosure is easy and so is swapping the
drives. Worked like a charm and the performance according to SiSandra
is excellent (when attached to a host that supports USB 2.0)

Next question which I couldn't find any answer to on the net is does
it support 48-bit addressing (e.g. drives > 137GB). I know that
Maxtor makes other external drive models that go above 120GB but I
didn't know if they had a different internals.

So I just stuck a Maxtor 200GB drive in it and the full size was
recognized. I also located the chip that runs the whole show on the
internal board, its a Cypress CY7C68013-56PVC. Here are the full
specs here:
http://www.cypress.com/products/datasheet.cfm?partnum=CY7C68300-56PVC

EZ-USB AT2T USB 2.0 to ATA/ATAPI Bridge

Features

Complies with USB-IF specifications for USB 2.0, the USB Mass Storage
Class, and the USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport
Specification

Operates at high (480-Mbps) or full (12-Mbps) speed

Complies with T13's ATA/ATAPI-6 Draft Specification

Supports 48-bit addressing for large hard drives

Supports PIO modes 0, 3, 4, and UDMA modes 2, 4

Arno Wagner

You need SP2 if you are using it under XP.

Arno

Previously "\"A_Michigan_User\" said:
I also have the USB2 Maxtor 3000LE external.
My Windows XP machine can handle 300 gig drives... but when I try to put 1
in the 3000LE case... it
only sees 137gig.
Did you have to do anything special to get yours to work?
Where did you see that chipset... and part #? I don't see anything that
says "Cypress" on the board inside mine.

Original msg.....
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:43:15 -0500
[...]

Eric Gisin

Arno Wagner said:
You need SP2 if you are using it under XP.
More bullshit from the village idiot. The IDE drivers are not used.
The USB enclosure is limited to 137GB. Is there a firmware update?

\A_Michigan_User\

I already have XP/SP4 (and huge internal drives work fine).... but this is
an external, USB2 drive.

\A_Michigan_User\

I'm not sure about a firmware update. (Nor how would 1 go about updating an
external drive case).

As usual... Maxtor never responds to any of my tech-support questions sent
to them directly.

Ugh.