Master Browser?

Fitz

I have 4 computers networked (as a Workgroup, not a Domain) via a Linksys 8
port router to a DSL modem. I am getting recurring Warnings and Errors in
Event Viewer (Application) under the heading of ESENT.
It reads:
SOURCE: Browser
Category: None
Event ID: 8021

The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master
\\TESSA-1 on the network
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{5861C454-1B3E-499E-B052-52D0FB343013}. The data is the
error code.

Why is one computer designated the "master" on a network where all computers
are connected through the router as a Workgroup? I am also getting multiple
emails (the same email being recieved mutiple times, sometimes over 100).

The OS is WinXP Pro w/SP2. AVG 7 antivirus. I have run AdAware SE and
Registry Mechanic with nothing other than stored cookies found. HijackThis
doesn't reveal anything unusual.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Fitz

Mark L. Ferguson

It sounds like Outlook is configured for an IMAP server, instead of pop3.
Outlooks Email options settings will tell you that.

Ice-wizard

I am having the exact same problem. I am using XP Home. I have two
computers networked as a Workgroup via a Linksys 4 port router to a DSL
modem. I am using Norton Systemworks and Microsoft Firewall. I have been
using this setup for atleast a year and this problem has just started
occuring. The only changes to the system that have been made is the regular
Windows Update changes. Unfortunately, I have no idea when it started
exactly to see if it was a particular Update.

I get the same error in the Event Viewer, however.. my first indication that
there is a problem.. somewhere between 8 and 12 hours, every day... I get a
TCP/IP error while trying to connect to my email server using Outlook
Express (error 0x800CCC15). At that time, Netscape 7.x and IE 6.x stop
working. My IM clients (YM and AOL) continue working for a few minutes
before I get a memory overflow error which completely locks down the system.

I have tried setting the local services, such as "Computer Browsing" to
restart the service as a recovery option, but it had no effect. I am
totally at a loss. As far as I know, my computer never needed a Master
Browser before....now all of a sudden it does...and it can not find it???
I checked the Event Viewer...and it lists the OTHER computer on the network
as the Master Browser instead of this one.

protected files. Several libraries were rewritten. I have no idea if this
has fixed anything.. I will have to wait to see if the TCP/IP stack fails
again.

Any clues would help greatly.

Santa

Ice-wizard said:
I am having the exact same problem. I am using XP Home. I have two
computers networked as a Workgroup via a Linksys 4 port router to a DSL
modem. I am using Norton Systemworks and Microsoft Firewall. I have been
using this setup for atleast a year and this problem has just started
occuring. The only changes to the system that have been made is the regular
Windows Update changes. Unfortunately, I have no idea when it started
exactly to see if it was a particular Update.

I get the same error in the Event Viewer, however.. my first indication that
there is a problem.. somewhere between 8 and 12 hours, every day... I get a
TCP/IP error while trying to connect to my email server using Outlook
Express (error 0x800CCC15). At that time, Netscape 7.x

Netscape 7.1 and 7.2 Have memory leak problems ,,, They Donnot Release
The memory..

Switch to Mozilla 1.7.5 it is the same as Netscape..
No need to uninstall netscape... install mozilla and all your Setting
and previous E-mails will be in Mozilla...as well as your bookmarks and
address books

Netscape 7.1 and 7.2 are Mozila Versions 1.4 and 1.5 Respectively

As you know, AOL (Time Warner) owns Netscape and Also Funds Mozilla
http://www.mozilla.org/

Mozilla is Faster Then Netscape due to improvements.

I have a linksys BEFSR41 Connected to a Motorola SB4200 Cable Modem for
the LAST 3 years and Have No problems with the 4 computers connected to
the internet.
and IE 6.x stop
working. My IM clients (YM and AOL) continue working for a few minutes
before I get a memory overflow error which completely locks down the system.

I have tried setting the local services, such as "Computer Browsing" to
restart the service as a recovery option, but it had no effect. I am
totally at a loss. As far as I know, my computer never needed a Master
Browser before....now all of a sudden it does...and it can not find it???
I checked the Event Viewer...and it lists the OTHER computer on the network
as the Master Browser instead of this one.

protected files. Several libraries were rewritten. I have no idea if this
has fixed anything.. I will have to wait to see if the TCP/IP stack fails
again.

Any clues would help greatly.

peter

Its not a Browser like Internet Explorer as I understand it.Its the actual
computer itself
I get the same message about every 2 days and the way I understand it...one
computer cant find the other for some reason so it sets itself as the "master"
I have narrowed down my start date for this problem to about the time I
installed SP2
But other than that it does not in any way seem to interfere with me using the
net or Email.My system does not lock up.
There are times when in the middles of downloading a newsgroup message things
seem to go real slow but a few minutes later its all back up to speed.
I would like to solve this problem too .......so if there is a solution out
there lets hear it!!!
peter
Ice-wizard said:
[...]

David Candy

The user interface to the microsoft browser is My Network Places. It simply a list of what is on the network. All computers on the network hold elections (often every few minutes) and who wins becomes the master browser for a while. It can take 12 minutes for a network object that goes offline to be noticed (it gets 3 chances 4 minutes apart to say "I'm really still here").

It has nothing to do with the internet.

The Browser
The Browser service (not to be confused with a Web browser) was originally designed to be a simple workgroup enumeration tool, but has been enhanced significantly over time. The Browser service supports browsing computers on the network and being browsed by other computers.

It is the service that gathers and organizes the list of computers and domains that is displayed in Network Neighborhood. (You can also see the browse list by typing net viewin the command window.) The Browser maintains an up-to-date list of computers and provides this information to programs that require it.

Note

Under Windows NT version 3.5x, use the File Manager Connect Network Drive dialog box to view the computer browser list.

Master Browser Elections
The Primary Domain Controller (PDC) for a domain always functions as the Domain Master Browser and is responsible for replicating the browse lists to all Master Browsers within the domain. A Master Browser is elected on each subnet within the domain.

Each domain has one Master Browser per subnet that contains computers listening for server announcements. The Master Browser maintains lists of available resources that can be requested by client computers.

As the number of hosts on a subnet grows, the Master Browser will start to replicate the browse list to Backup Browsers. If the Master Browser is shut down, an election takes place to determine the new Master Browser. Existing Backup Browsers have an advantage in the election. For this process, workgroups and domains function alike, except that all Windows NT Servers are either a Master Browser or Backup Browser, and Windows NT Workstation and Windows for Workgroups computers are not allowed to become Backup or Master browsers unless specifically configured.

Master Browser elections take place over the special <domain>[1E] NetBIOS name using subnet broadcasts (without using WINS). The election is fully automatic and takes into consideration a number of heuristics: operating system, version number, uptime, role (Workstation, Backup Domain Controller, Primary Domain Controller), etc. In general, the most robust computer on the network wins. Elections are forced when:

a.. A client cannot find its Master Browser at startup.
b.. A client detects that a Master Browser has disappeared.
c.. A Windows NT Server starts on the network.
Maintaining Browse Lists
File servers periodically (once every 12 minutes) announce their presence to the special <domain>[1D] NetBIOS name in an IP subnet broadcast. The Master Browser builds a list from these broadcasts. In addition, all Master Browsers register a group name \0x01\0x02__MSBROWSE__\0x02\0x01on the local subnet (not with WINS). Periodically the Master Browsers in the domains and workgroups announce their presence to this special name. Thus, in addition to the workgroup or domain membership lists, Master Browsers also maintain lists of other domains with their associated Master Browsers.

Requesting Browse Lists
When a browse request is made from a client, a "GetBackupListRequest" is sent to the <domain>[1D] name (the Master Browser) that returns a list of Browser servers for the local subnet. The "GetBackupListRequest" is also unicast to the Domain Master Browser, which handles the case in which the queried domain has no members on the subnet. The client Browser service selects three of the browsers from the list and stores them for future use. Then when further browsing is done, by calling the NetServerEnum API, one of the three saved names is contacted by the client.

When a client queries its workgroup or domain browser, it first gets back a list of all of the domains and workgroups that the browser has learned about through the \0x01\0x02__MSBROWSE__\0x02\0x01 name as well as the name of the Master Browser for each. When the user expands a domain or workgroup into a membership list, the client sends a request to <domain>[1D] to get to the list (this is translated to a local subnet broadcast by WINS). If this fails, it contacts the Master Browser for the particular domain or workgroup and fetches the membership list.

The Domain Master Browser
As mentioned earlier, the PDC always acts as the Domain Master Browser. Because each locally-elected Master Browser will only hear local membership announcements, there needs to be a mechanism to consolidate all of the members into a single list. This is the role of the Domain Master Browser.

Periodically, all of the locally-elected Master Browsers contact the PDC and replicate their membership lists to it. The PDC merges the list with the "master" list for the whole domain and replicates the master list back down.

The replication algorithm is "smart" in that the local Master Browsers only replicate the members that they have learned about locally to the domain master. This whole mechanism allows members in a domain to span subnets and, for all clients (eventually), to be able to get complete membership lists.

Browsing for Other Windows-based Computers
Browser code for Windows for Workgroups computers has been enhanced several times to reduce the dependency on having a BDC per subnet. The updated files are available from ftp.microsoft.com. Windows 95 computers also contain enhanced browsing code.

Send feedback to MSDN.Look here for MSDN Online resources.
http://www.uscricket.com
Its not a Browser like Internet Explorer as I understand it.Its the actual
computer itself
I get the same message about every 2 days and the way I understand it...one
computer cant find the other for some reason so it sets itself as the "master"
I have narrowed down my start date for this problem to about the time I
installed SP2
But other than that it does not in any way seem to interfere with me using the
net or Email.My system does not lock up.
There are times when in the middles of downloading a newsgroup message things
seem to go real slow but a few minutes later its all back up to speed.
I would like to solve this problem too .......so if there is a solution out
there lets hear it!!!
peter

Ice-wizard

I had originally thought about the memory leak in Netscape as a culprit, but
the still TCP/IP fail, even if Netscape is not running (even in the
background processes).

Santa said:
Ice-wizard said:
[...]

Thanks, that explains the origins and uses of the Master Browser pretty
good. I did not read in there how to fix the problem, though. So far, we
are up to hour 13 from the last reboot... so far so good.. :) Here's
hoping that the Protected Files Verification did its magic.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
[...]

On WINS-enabled networks, the browser code in Windows NT versions 4.0 and
3.5x periodically connects to WINS and learns all of the computers that have
registered any <domain>[1B] names. The Browser then does a GetDCName() on
each of the <domain>[1B] names (followed by an attempt on <domain>[1C]), and
adds the <domain name> <master browser name> to its domain/workgroup list.
This allows members of one domain to locate the Master Browser for another
domain even when it is on another subnet and the two domains have no
"broadcast area" in common.

peter said:
[...]

Well... that did not work. TCP/IP failed shortly after sent the previous
post. I am wondering if Windows Firewall is the culprit. I went to
Network Neighborhood and tried to see the internal network. The second
computer is off.. I should only be able to see my computer on the network.
I got an error saying I was not authorized to see the network. I turned off
the Windows Firewall and tried again and I was able to see my computer on
the network this time. So, I will wait another 13 hours to see if it fails
again.

peter said:
[...]

The browser has nothing to do with TCP/IP (except it will use it if your network is using it). It shouldn't affect AOL or messenger at all.

If the browser isn't working AND your internet isn't working, and both are likely to be using TCP/IP then that indicates a TCP/IP or network problem.

The first two steps to do in any network problem
1. Check the cables
2. Update network card drivers.

http://www.uscricket.com