Mass page Upate?

Reaction score
Hello all,

Is it possible to update several pages at the same time...

What i meen is, all of the pages on my site have a bar down the side with "the latest news" in, when the news changes, i do not want to change all of my pages!

So, i am looking for a way for all the pages to link to one page to get the text from, and update themselves. kind of like the way you can have the same image on every page.

I have been told of an "include" tag, but this only works if the pages are ".php" all my pages are ".htm" and i Do not want to change them.

Is this possible to do?

Thanks,

KGB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont think its possible if you want to keep them all HTML, perhaps an IFRAME would work though? (not recommended though!)

Reaction score
you could do it by using an image with your news on it. and just get everypage to load the same image in the same place then you would only have to update the one image.

there are downsides to this, but it's an option.
J

Reaction score
nah thanks Techy!

I don't want to have to make an image...

I don't know what an Iframe is Ian!

KGB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
An Iframe is quite complicated to explain without an example, so try googling for it - they are very easy to use but not liked. Its like having a page within a page. I think I posted some code on here a while back about it.

Reaction score
I think i will actually use Techy's idea...

I'll leave the Irames, thanks Ian,

KGB

Reaction score
To be honest KGB, Techys idea is as easy as my idea about a PHP include.

You will still have to edit each page to include the image, so why not save them all as .php and add the 2 line include code into them, its just as easy as adding a image.

Chris,

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I use PHP includes all the time and I agree its the best option, but if you want to use HTML only then Techys image is the best :)

Just depends what you want to call your pages :)

Reaction score
OK, i have changed my mind yet again! i made a image, stuck it on, worked great in dreamweaver, but, in IE, it has a grey background, really annoying...

I might change all my pages to PHP, but, now i have to update all my links...

Reaction score
Nahh... I'm alright thanks!

I wen't on notepad, and told it to replace all ".htm"'s with ".php" and it worked fine!

All working... except, the 404 error - it has to be .shtml, can i set it to PHP?

KGB

Reaction score
Hey,

Error pages need to be .shtml, just make them basic, saying error 400 etc, click here to go back, no need to fill it in with the content of the site.

Chris,

Reaction score
Suppose!

What is the "go back" link? "javascript(history)goback.1" or something like that!

What is it? Thanks,

KGB

Ask a Question