Mapped drives keep showing a red X

Kevin Howe

Hi,

I'm trying to resolve the problem with mapped drives
disconnecting on our Win2k network.

We're all Win2k, 3 servers, and a bunch of notebooks and
desktops on Win2k pro. Some of the comuters are connecting
to our mapped drives at logon, then later on showing with
red X's through them. After repeatedly clicking about
three or four times, the drives open back up. I've done
some checking around and found that using the net config
server command allows disabling the autodisconnect,
however the mapped drives are still shutting down. I don't
really want to go into using logon scripts unless I have
to to resolve this. Is there any other way to keep the
mapped drives from shutting down prematurely?

Thanks so much for any/all suggestions!

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Kevin,

there are several things that will cause the red x on the mapped drives. Both software and
hardware related. In the hardware side, some swithes will put the port in like sleep mode if it is
not being used, network cards will go to sleep when not being used (wake on lan) and those
type settings, hard drives will power down when not being used. So there are many hardware
settings that could cause your issue.

On the software side are things like antivirus will cause the red x's. We see this one a lot. And
third party programs from Compaq and other manufactures can also cause this.

Basically is is a process of elimination. If they all worked at one time, look for changes in
hardware, swtich/router firmware upgrade,s antivirus upgrades and installs, etc. Sometimes it
can be just a configuration on the anitvirus that it monitors network traffic and can cause the
issue.

Here are a couple of aricles to get you started.

305355 Some Compaq Programs Cause Mapped Drives to Be Disconnected
http://kb/article.asp?id=Q305355

297684 Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost
http://kb/article.asp?id=Q297684

Hope this helps,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "Kevin Howe" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Kevin Howe" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Mapped drives keep showing a red X
'--'Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:45:25 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'Hi,
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.