Man jailed over computer password refusal

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A teenager has been jailed for 16 weeks after he refused to give police the password to his computer. Oliver Drage, 19, of Liverpool, was arrested in May 2009 by police tackling child sexual exploitation.

Police seized his computer but could not access material on it as it had a 50-character encryption password.

Drage was convicted of failing to disclose an encryption key in September. He was sentenced at Preston Crown Court on Monday.

Officers are still trying to crack the code on the computer to examine its contents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11479831

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
One wonders why the old bill just don't boot up with a Linux Live CD and look at his hard disk from there.

Scouser police - the nation's finest :D

EDIT: Oops, me bad - Lancashire police ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
One wonders why the old bill just don't boot up with a Linux Live CD and look at his hard disk from there.

Scouser police - the nation's finest :D

EDIT: Oops, me bad - Lancashire police ;)

"Linux we is british not jonny foreigner froggies we use Microsoft products the most secure in the world." Police Commissioner Plod of the Lancashire Constabulary
" Now move them purple boots or I'll nick you for offending public decency" :D.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Thats the easiest password ever...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
lol

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Abar;

I bet he ain't using Win EFS.

The whole disk is encrypted, not the OS or log-on details ... you won't break that with Linux.

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Abar;

I bet he ain't using Win EFS.

The whole disk is encrypted, not the OS or log-on details ... you won't break that with Linux.

:user:

Oh I don't know :p

"Linux distributions are also commonly used as operating systems for supercomputers: since June 2010[update], out of the top 500 systems, 455 (91%) run a Linux distribution.[69] Linux was also selected as the operating system for the world's most powerful supercomputer, IBM's Sequoia which will become operational in 2011.[70]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux#Servers.2C_mainframes_and_supercomputers

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
What happens next ? Will he get his pc back ? LOL.....there must be summat worth hiding on it if he was willing to go to the clink.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Then there is always the possibility that using Fuse and the "nonmount" command you would be able to see encrypted data. ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, I don't think you understand the amount of effort it takes to break encryption......

Oh and i wouldn't believe everything you read on Wikipedia, ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I, er, appear to have grasped the wrong end of the stick, so to speak.

I assumed it was his hard disk that was protected but in fact on further reading it seems it's just one file.

Nobody gonna look at that whatever OS they look at it with. Well, not straight away anyway.

Reaction score
oh I read up about this

that password could take more than decades to crack
even if the police but 100's of computer together they would still be clutching at straws

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
V_R said:
..........Oh and i wouldn't believe everything you read on Wikipedia, ;)

Oh I wouldn't tell my daughter that! She lives there.

"Blasphemer!!!!......"

:lol:

Ask a Question