Malfunctioned USB port

Reaction score
I have an HP laptop NX6110 which is about 4 yrs old. A erratic and intermittent and frustrating error message pops up "A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of the hub port" Now I can be working on battery power with no USB devices connected and still get the same errors.

The frustrating part is you can reset the "Unknown USB port" which is high lighted and the problem may disappear all day or simply decide to return at random. Pse help guys!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
This is a common problem with most Dell laptop's that I have used in the past. This usually happens if a devise is connected to the usb port which is drawing more current than what the bus is capable of. Are you using this port to connect a device?

The culprit is usually an external hard drive (portable types) which is connected directly to the usb port for data as well as power. If you have the power cable for the external devise you should connect that too besides the usb cable. The other thing to note is that when it happens you need to reboot the computer rather than just remove the error as it will keep cropping up now and then. The system need's to be reset rather than the error eliminated.

If you are connecting such device than make sure you connect both power and usb together and than boot the system which will eliminate the error.

Hope this resolves your problem.

Reaction score
Thanks Quadophile, I have not had the problem again today but have to admit that I very rarely shut down my laptop but rather just close the lid. I shutdown and wow, today no relapse! I do use my usb for almost every thing including the charging of my cellphone. This may be the power hungry culprit you are referring too. Thanks again and much obliged! Have a swell weekend!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
mummy said:
Thanks Quadophile, I have not had the problem again today but have to admit that I very rarely shut down my laptop but rather just close the lid. I shutdown and wow, today no relapse! I do use my usb for almost every thing including the charging of my cellphone. This may be the power hungry culprit you are referring too. Thanks again and much obliged! Have a swell weekend!

You are very welcome! :)

I suggest that you make a note of the device you connect to and see which one does that. Once you know you should avoid charging that particular device from the port. Cell phones unlike portable hard drives do not come with a power cord but only the usb so you should avoid charging the cell phone (or as a matter of fact any other device that you find out does that.

Yes, reboot does solve many problems.
nod.gif

Ask a Question