Making all controls match selection of combo box

Reaction score
I want a use to select a customer on a form and have the form then reflect many fields for that record. Specifically, I want the user to use a combo box to select a customer (I show the last name and first name in the drop down of the combo box) for whom they can then perform other actions. The combo box itself seems to be fine as it displays the record selected in the drop down.

But I am doing something wrong. I have a form and the source of the data is the customer table. I have 3 dummy records with names as first & last, first2& last2, first3 & last3 as the entries for fname and lname fields. (I also have an address entered for the first record.)

I created a combo box using the wizard. I selected, in order:
Lookup values in table/query
Selected Customer table as the data source
Chose, in order, Lname and Fname fields
Chose Ascending for Lname and Ascending for Fname
Then finished.

In the form design view, this put a query into the row source field for the combo box that selected the CustID key field along with the Fname and Lname fields and left the control source property blank. (The control itself displays the last name at form view, which is what I prefer).

When I go to form view, the drop down works fine for this control. But none of the other fields in the form automatically switch to reflect the proper record. The form itself has its record source as the Customer table

I tried a number of things to force the issue, some didn't help, some caused the data in the underlying table to change.

Once I have the selection in the combo box, how do I make all the controls in the form automatically match the record which I just selected in the combo box?

Ask a Question