Makeover strategy

Ken Jarstad

Situation:
I have two existing websites created with FP2002. Several months ago I
purchased FP2003 and have been using it to maintain the two websites. I am
now comfortable using FP2003 and my desire is do a complete "makeover" of
each site. I have been using Buyens' FP2002 InsideOut and recently purchased
the Osborne FP2003 Complete Reference neither of which address my question.

Question:
What is the recommended strategy using FrontPage to build a "parallel"
(so-called) website so I can "swap" in the made-over version? It seems to me
that this would be preferable to making the visitors endure an extended
"under-construction" zone.

Steve Easton

Edit / change the local site on your machine. Publish when you're done.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Ken Jarstad

Thank you Steve for the prompt reply.

Perhaps I am missing something here. It may take a couple of months to
make-over each site. Directory structures need to be revised since the
website evolved differently than first envisioned. Meanwhile I have to keep
information current, as always.

From a programmer's viewpoint, too much spaghetti code necessitates a
complete re-write; release 1.790.345 gets re-released as version 2.0

As I have been pondering this, I recall that FP98 had a method of publishing
to a local web server. You could install the FP Extensions.

Ken

Rick Budde

I would make the following suggestions.

If your site requires a server for testing during
development, you can approach it two ways:
1. create a server on your PC. Requires XP Pro to be
installed, or
2. setup a separate web site with your host.

If your site does not require a server for testing, setup
a new Front Page web on your PC, develop and test. This
way you can continue to update your existing web as
required.

Either way, when your new site is ready, delete the old
web and publish the new web to your URL.

Ken Jarstad

Thanks Rick.

I have XP Pro and a quick check of the install disk shows that IIS is
included. I had forgotten about it. That seems like the way for me to go.
Thanks again to you and everyone who replied for helping me sort this out.

Ken

Stefan B Rusynko

If your host supports subwebs you can also create a subweb (w/ unique permissions if they support them) and publish your new site to
the subweb while still maintaining the old site in the root
- same applies to running a local host under IIS (if you need it) or to a disc based web