Mail Receipts in Mozilla and T'bird

me

I use the mail client in Mozilla Suite 1.0.7 on my W98 system, and
Thunderbird 1.0.6 on my XP Pro system. On each, I recently sent some
E-mail messages and specified a return receipt.

When I got nothing after a day or so (mail was to a business), I got
curious. Started sending myself messages requesting receipts. I read
the mail, waited a bit, but still didn't get a receipt. Looked at the
Message Source and it did indeed have the line
"Disposition-Notification-To:" with my E-mail address. Tried in both
Moz and T'bird--no joy.

Went to Outhouse Express and did the same test: got the receipts OK. I
was even able to read the message in Outhouse or Moz and get a receipt.

So, it appears that messages sent from either of the Mozilla products
will NOT return a receipt.

Searched their FAQ's--nothing there. Haven't looked at the Usenet
group, but will do so. I wondered if anyone has similar experiences,
and comments.

Many thanks,

Lakeside

Adam Piggott

David

I use the mail client in Mozilla Suite 1.0.7 on my W98 system, and
Thunderbird 1.0.6 on my XP Pro system. On each, I recently sent some
E-mail messages and specified a return receipt.

When I got nothing after a day or so (mail was to a business), I got
curious. Started sending myself messages requesting receipts. I read
the mail, waited a bit, but still didn't get a receipt. Looked at the
Message Source and it did indeed have the line
"Disposition-Notification-To:" with my E-mail address. Tried in both
Moz and T'bird--no joy.

Went to Outhouse Express and did the same test: got the receipts OK. I
was even able to read the message in Outhouse or Moz and get a receipt.

So, it appears that messages sent from either of the Mozilla products
will NOT return a receipt.
Probably because you have turned off that facility in your
preferences. In Seamonkey there is a general setting that can be
overridden with a per-server setting. The setting is under "Mail &
Newsgroups -> Return Receipts.

--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

Al Klein

So, it appears that messages sent from either of the Mozilla products
will NOT return a receipt.

You should be aware that it's the READING email client that decides
whether to send a receipt or not, if you ask for one - it's not forced
to. If the reading client doesn't send receipts (or is set to not
send them) there won't be one, regardless of whether the sending
client asks for one.

me

Adam said:

Have you checked that you've got Thunderbird/Moz set to accept return
receipts? Have a look at what's set under Tools->Account Settings->Return
Receipts for each affected account. Send me a test by mail if you want -
I'm using Thunderbird.

Yup, got them set to "Leave Return Receipts in my Inbox." (At least,
that's in Moz. Will have to check T'bird--it's on a different disc--but
I'm pretty sure it's set the same. That's the first thing I suspected.

me

David said:
Probably because you have turned off that facility in your
preferences. In Seamonkey there is a general setting that can be
overridden with a per-server setting. The setting is under "Mail &
Newsgroups -> Return Receipts.

Thanks, David. See my response to Adam re: same suggestion.

me

Al said:
You should be aware that it's the READING email client that decides
whether to send a receipt or not, if you ask for one - it's not forced
to. If the reading client doesn't send receipts (or is set to not
send them) there won't be one, regardless of whether the sending
client asks for one.

Good point, Al, but I nipped that one in the bud. I currently have my
Moz and T'bird to "Always send receipts" in the 3 choice boxes.

LS

David

Good point, Al, but I nipped that one in the bud. I currently have my
Moz and T'bird to "Always send receipts" in the 3 choice boxes.

LS

If you send an email you can request that a receipt be returned to
you. However it is the receiver of the email that decides whether they
are going to actually allow the receipt to be sent back. You have no
control over that. The settings on your mail clients are immaterial in
regard to email YOU send.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply
At the bottom of the application where it says
"sign here". I put "Sagittarius"
E-mail: justdas at iinet dot net dot au

Adam Piggott

Peter Seiler

Adam Piggott - 05.02.2006 13:06 :

why do you PGP sign your newsgroup messages? Most people (even all the
regulars) don't do that.

THX in advance for your kind information.

David

- From the OP: "Started sending myself messages requesting receipts. I read
the mail, waited a bit, but still didn't get a receipt."

I just did a couple of experiments. I sent mail to myself using two
different addresses but same ISP. Receipt was requested, sent and
received.

I repeated the post using the same address for both receiver and
poster. Seamonkey did not advise me that a receipt had been requested.
My conclusion is that the email client is smart enough to recognise
that a receipt is redundant when you post to yourself and does not
send one.
--

David said:
I just did a couple of experiments. I sent mail to myself using two
different addresses but same ISP. Receipt was requested, sent and
received.

I repeated the post using the same address for both receiver and
poster. Seamonkey did not advise me that a receipt had been requested.
My conclusion is that the email client is smart enough to recognise
that a receipt is redundant when you post to yourself and does not
send one.

That's very interesting.

But, very disconcerting as well! I always thought that Netscape,
Mozilla, T'bird, and the likes, from that development group were
infinitely smarter than Outlook Express. But, those messages I sent
myself from OE did indeed generate receipts when I opened them, in
either OE or Moz/T'bird.

LS

me

Adam said:

Have you checked that you've got Thunderbird/Moz set to accept return
receipts? Have a look at what's set under Tools->Account Settings->Return
Receipts for each affected account. Send me a test by mail if you want -
I'm using Thunderbird.

HTH

Adam Piggott, Proprietor, Proactive Services (Computing).
http://www.proactiveservices.co.uk/

Please replace dot invalid with dot uk to email me.

Adam,

I sent mail to your address, as revised, from my Moz. suite. Not sure
you have opened it, but as of 12 noon CST, I have not received a
receipt. If you have received it and opened it, I would appreciate your
looking at the headers/message source to see if the "Disposition" line
is indeed present.

Many thanks,

Lakeside

Peter Seiler

Adam Piggott - 05.02.2006 16:12 :
Peter Seiler wrote:

All of my business correspondence is digitally signed to prove that it
really has come from me. I sign all of my postal mail and would consider it
unprofessional not to - similarly for Internet correspondence.

THX for explanation. Signing your (important) business correspondence -
ok, that's your decission. But how "important", necessary and
"professional" is this behavior in open Usenet/NGs like this one? Are we
all acting less "professinal" not signing our postings? Should we all
sign our (important?) postings here demonstrating professionalism? AFAIK
*none* of all the postings I read in all the past years have been so
"heavy/deep" to be necessarely/worth being signed.

John Fitzsimons

David

That's very interesting.

But, very disconcerting as well! I always thought that Netscape,
Mozilla, T'bird, and the likes, from that development group were
infinitely smarter than Outlook Express. But, those messages I sent
myself from OE did indeed generate receipts when I opened them, in
either OE or Moz/T'bird.

LS

Of course. OE is so dumb that it does not recognise your posting
address. Mozz/Tbird recognised that the post came from OE and
therefore supplied the requested receipt to keep OE happy. ;-)}}}
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply
At the bottom of the application where it says
"sign here". I put "Sagittarius"
E-mail: justdas at iinet dot net dot au

Anthony R. Gold

Anthony R. Gold

Did you ever submit your key to any servers? I don't find it
anywhere.

Forget that Adam, I now see that it's on pgp.surfnet.nl. I did not find
it on keyserver.pgp.com which is where I'd looked first.

Tony