Mail-merge for e-mail

G

When using the mail-merge functions in order to send personalized e-mails to each of the students (e.g. how each did in his/her exam, what individual grade they obtained, which questions they answered wrongly, etc.), I set up an Excel spreadsheet that has each of the fields I need. The process works very well all the way to what appears to be the last, or next to the last step. That is, I get to review the individual e-mails, they look fine, and I get to enter the e-mail's subject. But, when I finally click on Ok to submit the e-mail, it does not perform the function. In one instance, I saw an intermediate screen which appeared to be looking into my Netscape's e-mail client for the outgoing SMTP mail server

I am using Office Professional 2003

I belive that even if one invokes the mail-merge option from within Outlook, it essentially uses the Word application to do the job

I have started from both Outlook and Word, and at the end of the process I still get no e-mail delivery

By the way, my Outlook has been fully set up as a client for my standard IMAP server. That is, I can use either Outlook or Netscape (or for that matter Mozilla) to access my e-mail and send e-mails, and they all work perfectly well. However, I believe only Outlook has the highly desirable mail-merge capability

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

And which email program is set as your default?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
PharmTeach said:
When using the mail-merge functions in order to send personalized e-mails
to each of the students (e.g. how each did in his/her exam, what individual
grade they obtained, which questions they answered wrongly, etc.), I set up
an Excel spreadsheet that has each of the fields I need. The process works
very well all the way to what appears to be the last, or next to the last
step. That is, I get to review the individual e-mails, they look fine, and I
get to enter the e-mail's subject. But, when I finally click on Ok to submit
the e-mail, it does not perform the function. In one instance, I saw an
intermediate screen which appeared to be looking into my Netscape's e-mail
client for the outgoing SMTP mail server.
I am using Office Professional 2003.

I belive that even if one invokes the mail-merge option from within
Outlook, it essentially uses the Word application to do the job.
I have started from both Outlook and Word, and at the end of the process I still get no e-mail delivery.

By the way, my Outlook has been fully set up as a client for my standard
IMAP server. That is, I can use either Outlook or Netscape (or for that
matter Mozilla) to access my e-mail and send e-mails, and they all work
perfectly well. However, I believe only Outlook has the highly desirable
mail-merge capability.

Ask a Question