LPR Printing and a Konica Copier

Nathan Thompson

I am trying to set up a Konica 7155 to our NT 4.0 network. The
problem I am having is that Konica indicated that the type of port
that needs to be used with our machine is an LPR port. When I set up
the printer as an LPR port, I use the IP address and call the port
"PORT1". At this point the printer works great, no problems at all.
The very next day, after the server has rebooted, the port is gone
from the list of ports. So then I just try to add the port again, and
I receive an error indicating that the port is already there. At this
point the port is not on the ports list, I cannot add the port to the
list, and now I cannot make any change to the ports at all. I am
completely stumped and Konica has given up on helping us. Is there
any one who has dealt with this type of problem or has experienced
some problem like mine? One last thing, I am using an NT4.0 server
with Service pack 6a and all the hot fixes available.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (Nathan Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.printing,comp.os.ms-
windows.nt.misc
Subject: LPR Printing and a Konica Copier
Date: 6 Apr 2004 09:24:28 -0700

[...]
----

Nathan,

Start with the steps in the following article to see if they help.

250209 - Printing to LPR Port Does Not Succeed, Printer Ports Missing
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;250209

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Harry

Nathan Thompson wrote...
[...]

If you open the Device Manager, do you see PORT1 there?
If yes, delete it and try again.

Alan Morris\(MSFT\)

Also look in the registry
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\LPR Port\Ports

Check through each one of the ports listed in the registry and verify that
they match to those listed in the ports list. There is an issue with LPR
Ports getting corrupt information in them and the spooler will stop reading
the LPR Port list if it determines one is corrupt. I am not sure why they
sometimes get corrupted.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team