Loud hard drive

Reaction score
I've got a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500 GB HDD, and it is really loud. For the first half an hour or so after turning on the pc it is fine, and the pc is really quiet. But then it starts making a loud, high-pitched whirr. Sometimes it also 'spins down' (that may not be the right terminology, what i mean is you can hear it slow down and stop). The 'spinnin down' part is not really a problem but since the other sound is high-pitched it gets really irritating.

Do you think there is something wrong with the hard drive itself, i bought it about a month ago and it started making these noises maybe a week or two after i got it.
It also gets very hot.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to send it back . I have 4 Seagates and they don't make any noise and they do not get hot .

happywave.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure it's the hard drive, and not something else like a case fan?

If indeed the hard drive is making any sort of noise that you would call "loud" you need to back up ASAP and return it.

Reaction score
Its definitely the hdd, i unplugged the fan and put my ear right next to it. It doesn't always make a loud noise (its not now) but sometimes it does, and for some reason it seems to time itself perfectly to be when i am trying to sleep.

Ok, thanks, i have another Seagate too and that makes no noise. I have had loads of seagates and none of them have been like this, but also none have been this big (500GB), so i just wondered if that might be why. Guess not then, thanks.

I will back it up and send it back.

Reaction score
I moved the hard drive down a bay so that it gets more fan action, and once threatening it with sending it back it has now shutup, and cooled down, weird. I will keep my eye (and ear) on it to see if it starts playing up again but it may not be necessary now.

Reaction score
I hate nosiy components, but sometimes think it's the luck of the batch!

I have had two seagates in the past they have been so silent
right now I use mainly Samsung Spin Points, really good hard drives.

I got 2 X 500 Gb Samsung Spin Points right now
one of them is silent the other is so loud and annoying..

Just like I said it's luck of the draw I beleive.

Reaction score
as for securely wiping it, what is the best way. You can still get data back from formatted disks can't you?

Ask a Question