Lost images in FrontPage

ptolemee

I have a strange problem. I have placed many images on a web site, all
stored in the images folder of my web page.

While these files are shown/visible when I look with Windows Explorer
they will not turn up within the Folder List of the FP program. Thus I
cannot create links to these images which I want to do. What have I
done wrong? How can I correct this? Without redoing the whole site.

Two other details which "might" be relevant: the source pictures are
on an external hard drive which may occasionally not have been turned
on when using FP. And, when I open FP, Windows always tries to
reinstall Word programs already installed. This is recent behaviour.

The site works (see: www.ptolemeeplus.ca/feepenchine) but I can't
make the modifications that I want.

Thanks, DaveC

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

Are you sure you Imported them into your FP Images folder first?...then
from there you place them in your design.

|I have a strange problem. I have placed many images on a web site, all
| stored in the images folder of my web page.
|
| While these files are shown/visible when I look with Windows Explorer
| they will not turn up within the Folder List of the FP program. Thus I
| cannot create links to these images which I want to do. What have I
| done wrong? How can I correct this? Without redoing the whole site.
|
| Two other details which "might" be relevant: the source pictures are
| on an external hard drive which may occasionally not have been turned
| on when using FP. And, when I open FP, Windows always tries to
| reinstall Word programs already installed. This is recent behaviour.
|
| The site works (see: www.ptolemeeplus.ca/feepenchine) but I can't
| make the modifications that I want.
|
| Thanks, DaveC

IdaSpode

Yep, common mistake. I'm guessing the link to the images looks
something like:

D:\my_web\images\image_1.jpg

DJ

ptolemee

I have never done that. I have just dragged images from Explorer onto
the web page and they were saved in the images folder (both large and
thumbnail version). I designated the folder. AND they show up in that
folder when I look through Explorer. And they work on the web. Also
obviously visible on the server in the images folder. Somewhat
confused.

Thanks for your suggestion I'll try one your way to
see. Dave C

ptolemee

My image link looks like this: images/image_1.jpg The are all in the
folder: my web/ but don't show. I will look at my other sites to see
what they're like. Again, it does work and the files "are" in the
images folder (according to Explorer). Do I have to reset the link
somehow? Dave

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

How are you opening your local website?

Open FP
File | Open Site (open your local site)
Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks
see if that helps

route.net> wrote in message
| My image link looks like this: images/image_1.jpg The are all in the
| folder: my web/ but don't show. I will look at my other sites to see
| what they're like. Again, it does work and the files "are" in the
| images folder (according to Explorer). Do I have to reset the link
| somehow? Dave
|

| > Yep, common mistake. I'm guessing the link to the images looks
| > something like:
| >
| > D:\my_web\images\image_1.jpg
| >
| > DJ
| > --------
| >
| > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:17:54 -0700, "Rob Giordano \(Crash\)"
| >
| > >Are you sure you Imported them into your FP Images folder
first?...then
| > >from there you place them in your design.

| > >|
| > >|
| > >|
| > >|
| > >|

Tom Willett

You can drag them into the folder, then insert on the page...that's the same
as importing. Dragging to the page is not.
--
===
Tom Willett
|I have never done that. I have just dragged images from Explorer onto
| the web page and they were saved in the images folder (both large and
| thumbnail version). I designated the folder. AND they show up in that
| folder when I look through Explorer. And they work on the web. Also
| obviously visible on the server in the images folder. Somewhat
| confused.
|
| Thanks for your suggestion I'll try one your way to
| see. Dave C
|

| On Jun 29, 11:17 am, "Rob Giordano \(Crash\)"
| > Are you sure you Imported them into your FP Images folder first?...then
| > from there you place them in your design.

| > | stored in the images folder of my web page.
| > |
| > | While these files are shown/visible when I look with Windows Explorer
| > | they will not turn up within the Folder List of the FP program. Thus I
| > | cannot create links to these images which I want to do. What have I
| > | done wrong? How can I correct this? Without redoing the whole site.
| > |
| > | Two other details which "might" be relevant: the source pictures are
| > | on an external hard drive which may occasionally not have been turned
| > | on when using FP. And, when I open FP, Windows always tries to
| > | reinstall Word programs already installed. This is recent behaviour.
| > |
| > | The site works (see: www.ptolemeeplus.ca/feepenchine) but I can't
| > | make the modifications that I want.
| > |
| > | Thanks, DaveC
| > |

ptolemee

OK, you guys are the experts and I am a rank beginner. I am quite
willing to admit my methods are wrong. BUT Why do they seem to work?
Except for not seeing the image files in the /images folder despite
the fact they are visible in Explorer and FP can find and display them
on the web site - they ARE there. Somehow.

What benefit will I get by loading the same files into the /images
folder? When they already "seem" to be there.

On the simpler websites I built earlier I merely saved the images in
the same folder as the htm files. They are visible. I used the same
method as I have on this site: drag onto the normal page window,
create a thumbnail and save, but to the images folder. Both the large
JPG and thumbnail were saved.

I just tried to drag an image (that already exists on the web page)
into the /images folder and was told it already exists, and is
obviously being used by FP. When I use the insert command I merely
insert into the document and save. Is that the same as dragging to the
images folder and then inserting?

By the way I am using FP 2002, which I should have mentioned.

Colour me somewehat confused. But thanks for your
patience. DaveC

IdaSpode

OK, you guys are the experts and I am a rank beginner. I am quite
willing to admit my methods are wrong. BUT Why do they seem to work?
Except for not seeing the image files in the /images folder despite
the fact they are visible in Explorer and FP can find and display them
on the web site - they ARE there. Somehow.

What is the URL for this site?
What benefit will I get by loading the same files into the /images
folder? When they already "seem" to be there.

On the simpler websites I built earlier I merely saved the images in
the same folder as the htm files. They are visible. I used the same
method as I have on this site: drag onto the normal page window,
create a thumbnail and save, but to the images folder. Both the large
JPG and thumbnail were saved.

I just tried to drag an image (that already exists on the web page)
into the /images folder and was told it already exists, and is
obviously being used by FP.

Your images folder isn't named with an underscore is it? As in
_images

If so, it will be hidden unless you tell FP to display hidden files
and folders.

Tools > Web Settings > Advanced > check the "Show documents in hidden
directories" box.

Just for giggles, try letting FP overwrite one of the "already exists"
files, see if it "shows up" in the images folder.
When I use the insert command I merely
insert into the document and save. Is that the same as dragging to the
images folder and then inserting?

DJ

Ronx

"When I use the insert command I merely insert into the document and
save. Is that the same as dragging to the images folder and then
inserting?"

No.

When FrontPage saves a .jpg image it adds further compression to the
image, which may give a visible loss of quality if the image is already
heavily compressed.
Inserting an image that has been Imported, or dropped into the open web
from Windows Explorer, does not require saving the image. Thus its
quality is maintained. Importing copies the image - it does not *save*
the image.

Further, for some (though not all) users, inserting an image from an
external location causes the link to the image to be an absolute file
location such as file:///c:\website\images\pic.jpg instead of the
relative link you would expect, and only manual editing will change it.

Your method will work for some, it may work every time for you, but for
others it will cause problems. Importing (or drag'n'drop into the open
web) first, then inserting on a page will work every time without
problems.

Saving an image directly into a folder used by the web from an editing
program (Photoshop for example) can also produce problems when
publishing. When the image is saved the associated meta data will not
be updated. For publishing purposes, FrontPage has no record of the
image, (or if an edited existing image that the image has been changed),
and it may not be published with the rest of the site. In this
situation, always run "Tools->Recalculate Hyperlinks, or if a brand new
image at least refresh the web (F5 in folder view). This should update
the meta data. Importing (or drag'n'drop) always updates the meta data.
--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (FrontPage)

http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp

FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/

ptolemee

Thank you Ida, Thank you thank you thank you. And also to all the
others who answered. Your single checked box solved the problem. I
felt it had to be something like that.

Thanks especially to Ron who just explained why my images sometimes
seem to be lower quality than expected. I will look into this more
carefully.

Always more to learn. DaveC

For those who want to check the website (which works) is at:
www.ptolemeeplus.ca/feepenchine

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

ALSO....do not use spaces in folder or file names (the will appear as %20)
and do not use an underscore _ in first position of a file name like
_image11.jpg

> [...]
| >
| > > What benefit will I get by loading the same files into the /images
| > > folder? When they already "seem" to be there.
| >
| > > On the simpler websites I built earlier I merely saved the images in
| > > the same folder as the htm files. They are visible. I used the same
| > > method as I have on this site: drag onto the normal page window,
| > > create a thumbnail and save, but to the images folder. Both the large
| > > JPG and thumbnail were saved.
| >
| > > I just tried to drag an image (that already exists on the web page)
| > > into the /images folder and was told it already exists, and is
| > > obviously being used by FP. When I use the insert command I merely
| > > insert into the document and save. Is that the same as dragging to the
| > > images folder and then inserting?
| >
| > > By the way I am using FP 2002, which I should have mentioned.
| >
| > > Colour me somewehat confused. But thanks for your

| > > > |
| > > > |
| > > > |
| > > > |
| > > > |
| > > > | On Jun 29, 11:17 am, "Rob Giordano \(Crash\)"|

| > > > | > |
Explorer
site.
| > > > | > |
behaviour.
| > > > | > |
| > > > | > |
| > > > | > |
| > > > |
| > > > |

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

To view files & folders with underscore as first character in it's name, go
to Tools | Site Settings | Advanced and put a check in the box next to "Show
hidden files and folders" - still probably not a good idea to name image
files with an underscore in first position.

| ALSO....do not use spaces in folder or file names (the will appear as %20)
| and do not use an underscore _ in first position of a file name like
| _image11.jpg
|

| || Thank you Ida, Thank you thank you thank you. And also to all the
|| others who answered. Your single checked box solved the problem. I
|| felt it had to be something like that.
|| Thanks especially to Ron who just explained why my images sometimes
|| seem to be lower quality than expected. I will look into this more
|| carefully.
|| Always more to learn. DaveC
|| For those who want to check the website (which works) is at:
|| www.ptolemeeplus.ca/feepenchine
|| > "When I use the insert command I merely insert into the document and
|| > save. Is that the same as dragging to the images folder and then
|| > inserting?"
|| >
|| > No.
|| >
|| > When FrontPage saves a .jpg image it adds further compression to the
|| > image, which may give a visible loss of quality if the image is already
|| > heavily compressed.
|| > Inserting an image that has been Imported, or dropped into the open web
|| > from Windows Explorer, does not require saving the image. Thus its
|| > quality is maintained. Importing copies the image - it does not *save*
|| > the image.
|| >
|| > Further, for some (though not all) users, inserting an image from an
|| > external location causes the link to the image to be an absolute file
|| > location such as file:///c:\website\images\pic.jpg instead of the
|| > relative link you would expect, and only manual editing will change it.
|| >
|| > Your method will work for some, it may work every time for you, but for
|| > others it will cause problems. Importing (or drag'n'drop into the open
|| > web) first, then inserting on a page will work every time without
|| > problems.
|| >
|| > Saving an image directly into a folder used by the web from an editing
|| > program (Photoshop for example) can also produce problems when
|| > publishing. When the image is saved the associated meta data will not
|| > be updated. For publishing purposes, FrontPage has no record of the
|| > image, (or if an edited existing image that the image has been
changed),
|| > and it may not be published with the rest of the site. In this
|| > situation, always run "Tools->Recalculate Hyperlinks, or if a brand new
|| > image at least refresh the web (F5 in folder view). This should update
|| > the meta data. Importing (or drag'n'drop) always updates the meta
data.
|| > --
|| > Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (FrontPage)
|| > Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|| >
|| > http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
|| >
|| > FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/

| the same

| onto
| and
| that
| Also
|| > > > |
|| > > > |
|| > > > |
|| > > > |
|| > > > |
|| > > > | On Jun 29, 11:17 am, "Rob Giordano \(Crash\)"|

| first?...then

| site, all
|| > > > | > |
| Explorer