Looking into getting a new smartphone

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Good idea, except I didn't buy the phone from EE :(

Android and Windows devices bought from other retailers will not be able to support WiFi Calling.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah. Well my 6P didn't come from EE it was direct from Google and WiFi calling works as its baked into Marshmallow so it could work on your S7, depends on EE I guess....

Time to do a bit of research! :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I have good news! Last week there was a software update and WiFi calling is now available! :D Funny how it happened just after we were talking about it. So Ian is now tempted to get the same phone as me ;)

I went to Paris with a friend last week, which was a great chance to test out the camera. I'll make a separate post about that, but here's a sample:

Crabs.jpg

Crop from the image at 100%
20160419_093634 crop.jpg

This was just a photo that I took very quickly - double click of the home button to bring up the camera, snap, then back in my back. It was shot using the Auto setting, and I didn't take my time over it. I was quite impressed!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Great picture Bex. Samsung do know how to make a good camera. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Bump! Rather than starting a new thread, I'm going to tack on the end of this.

So, I've had an S7 Edge for a week now. Thought I'd love it. But I'm not as taken as I'd hoped considering I've wanted one since their release.

My main issue is the finger print scanner, it seems a bit hit and miss. When it works its fast af. But when it doesn't it drives me mad.... :\

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
My main issue is the finger print scanner, it seems a bit hit and miss. When it works its fast af. But when it doesn't it drives me mad.... :\

I got the normal S7 with my upgrade last month. Finger print scanners and my fingers just don't get on. I don't bother with it now.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Shame that you're not liking it as much as you thought... is it just the fingerprint scanner or other things too?

I had issues with the finger print scanner at first, but I re-added the scans and it worked ok after that. I also find that it doesn't work if my hands are dry (which they are prone to being) so I put more effort into using hand cream. Might be worth a try...?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
See the FPS on my N6P is spot on everytime. But the S7E just seems really flaky. and its locked me out of the phone a couple of times too which really ***** me off!

That said, there are things about it I really like, and its actually made the 6P feel even bigger now, which ironically is the reason I wanted a new/smaller phone in the first place! haha

First world problems are real.

Funny you should mention dry hands Becky, as mine get dry as anything in the winter. That may well have something to do with it.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh ffs. Just been in Carphone warehouse while doing a bit of evening shopping.....

I now really want a Pixel XL...... :blush:

Just need to sell my Nexus 6P and this S7E. :fool::lol:

The S7 Edge might take the record for the shortest owned phone I've ever had lol.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Haha! What are you like :rolleyes: :lol:

So what is the Pixel XL like in the flesh?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I know, I'm worse than a woman when she goes clothes shopping in a sale! :lol:

This is why I will always have a sim only contract. :)

Its nice! It was in one of those silly cradle/grip things they have in phone shops so I couldn't get a proper feel for it, but it felt very solid, good build quality, great screen, about the same size as the S7E.

Feels a little understated, which I like.

Am away this weekend so will think on it for a bit, I'm in no major rush to do anything. But If I sold the S7E and the 6P it would make the price easier to bare*.

*man maths

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
easier to bare

Say what now?! I think you mean 'bear' :eek: :lol:

I like your justifying logic (and maths, lol). You could get yourself a Daydream view too, and they're cheaper than the Samsung Gear VR. You'd be practically saving money :fool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, yeah that's what I mean, and man math is best math. :p

Reaction score
I have a smart phone, bought it about 9 months ago, I have charged it once and sits on a shelf in the sitting room, never used it no one has ever rung (probably because it has run out of charge) and I have never made a call on it.:lol::lol::nod::nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Still got the S7E. I am warming to it. The camera is very good.

Last month we went away for the weekend (Butlins in Bognor - during half term *shudders*) with the other half's family including her 11 year old nephew. Him + slow mo video and the beach = some surprisingly good captures!

Anyway, I installed the 7.0 Nougat beta this morning.

Everything. Is. So. Much. Better. :D

FP scanner is far better (thank you Jesus), new camera UI, Settings menu same as it was on the Note 7 before it exploded. Nougat features like double tapping the task switcher button is something I'm glad to have back as I missed that from my N6P.

You can try it by downloading the Galaxy Beta app from the Galaxy Apps store, though I did read that it might say they're not accepting anymore in. That said its not going to be far off tbh anyway. Its a full wipe if you want out too, just FYI.

Heres a quick vid from a chap over at the OcUK Forums as a demo:

Ask a Question