Longhorn Beta 1 debuts soon

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Windows IT Pro have been reliably informed that Windows Longhorn Beta 1 is due for release around the 27th July - which should give users a better insight to the workings of the next-gen operating system.

You'll need a DX9 card to take advantage of Longhorn - and the rest of the PC will have to be reasonably powerful too.

Attachments

• longhorn.jpg
    longhorn.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 505

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hmmmm not sure on this OS at the moment but looking forward to hearing feedback from the Beta testers on bugs and suchlike....:thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
wow, theres alot of flaming going on in the comments area, im interested but also wary, if it takes so much just to run the OS, what does that mean for gaming? will it sap performace from them?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, it shouldn't reduce performance - it uses hardware acceleration for the main windows frontend, so things should be a bit faster (thats the idea anyway).

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Nope, it shouldn't reduce performance - it uses hardware acceleration for the main windows frontend, so things should be a bit faster (thats the idea anyway).
Ian

That was the idea of XP to a certain extent:eek: , and they still can’t get it correct:( , Billy [boy] Gates poor chap! He needs the money:p .

tek

Reaction score
I've read up that once longhorn is released everyone will have to move over to it because software won't be backwards compatible. For me, this was a big thing. I have no problems with xp, but it looks like I will have to move over to longhorn if I want to use the latest software.

tek

Reaction score
I think the speed improvements might be down to it being 64bit based. Running longhorn on a 32bit processor probably won't yeild any improvements, but as technology is progressing, 64bit will become more common, especially since AMD have good prices for there 756 and 939 processors.

Reaction score
Well!

Have read the article relating to Longhorn; now let me ask you this, do you think it will work as expected to?? I am a gambler and I bet it will not go according to plan.

Going back ten years we started with Windows 95>98>2000>ME> 2001>XP> none of which were without complications and as for Longhorn we will have to wait for the crrrrunch.

If we wait a while for the next generation to appear which wont be long!!!! I was wondering if it would be named [SHORTANDCURLIES??] :eek: As that is what

Bill>ionaire Gates. has us by.

As Tek has stated no going back!

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
[
You'll need a DX9 card to take advantage of Longhorn - and the rest of the PC will have to be reasonably powerful too.

what is a dx9 card?

Reaction score
psd99 said:
what is a dx9 card?

a moment of panick
a moment of lost momentum!!!!

duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh psd99 wake up!

dx9 card = a graphics card with directx9 !!!!

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
In the words of John Mcenroe... you cannot be serious psd...:p

' U cant be serious man, that ball hit the line, chalk flew up, I know its in, the whole crowd knows its in and YET u say its out?
Explain that to me will ya!

back in the 70's or 80's something like that!

:)

Reaction score
all most all do but geforce vid cards dont found out the hard way plus msn messenger has a few bugs in it ya cant send files fast like ya did on the old msn mess 7.0 it keeps delete files when ya send them tho mess for some reson oh and it frezz's up easy when ya run more than 4 windows on ie now it dose have a killer fire wall i like that a lot ya can figer ya own setting in it not like xp home or pro ya can open or close ports like if ya had a router running it kinda looks like it as well when ya access it ya need a admin pass word thats the only thing i dont like is that pass ya cant change it once its set in less ya reformat and reload it if ya want to try it call mircosoft ask to be put on there test list ya get paid 200 bucks for testing it
plus ya get a free copy of it as well when its done fixing bugs it run slower than xp pro it mite be that more ram is needed but im useing 3 gig ddr ram AMD Athlon XP, 3800 MHz (64 x 166) 4000+
thats my stats on cpu ok ill be back later im going to bed now

♠♥ÐRÃĠÕÑ₪MŧŦER♣♦™

Ask a Question