June is Beta 1 Release for Longhorn.

Justin

"According to CNET, the Windows Longhorn Beta 1 is supposedly set for
release this June. The Register has commentary on the delays the new
OS has faced." From the article: "Longhorn was originally supposed to
ship in 2004. In May, this year release was pushed back to 2005. This
week Longhorn's availability has been delayed even further, with
Microsoft execs declining to say when exactly the operating system
might ship, eWeek reports."

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+Longh...3.html?part=rss&tag=5566423&subj=news.1012.20

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Justin;
Generally Microsoft declines to give specifics of when any new product will
ship until that date is very close so this is nothing new.

Also unless I missed it, there is nothing in the article suggesting the Beta
will be publicly available so we can hope but should not expect it..

Dan

Microsoft can take as long as they want to release Longhorn in my opinion. I
just want Microsoft to make a great operating system and if they need more
time then I wonder why people are in such a hurry to have a new operating
system. Life is challenging enough in many ways and there is no need to rush
something as important as the next operating system from Microsoft. My guess
is that Longhorn will be released as a full retail version in 2007.

:
: Also unless I missed it, there is nothing in the article suggesting the
Beta
: will be publicly available so we can hope but should not expect it..
:
: --
: Jupiter Jones [MVP]
: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
:
:
: : > "According to CNET, the Windows Longhorn Beta 1 is supposedly set for
: > release this June. The Register has commentary on the delays the new
: > OS has faced." From the article: "Longhorn was originally supposed to
: > ship in 2004. In May, this year release was pushed back to 2005. This
: > week Longhorn's availability has been delayed even further, with
: > Microsoft execs declining to say when exactly the operating system
: > might ship, eWeek reports."
: >
: >
: >
: >
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+Longh...3.html?part=rss&tag=5566423&subj=news.1012.20
: >
: >
: >
:
:

Peter

....and how about incorporating some Star-Trek style self-diagnosis and
repair?? Kidding, of course.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada,

Dan

LOL! That will be the day when Star Trek Next Generation technology becomes
commonplace. (If that ever happens of course but we can always dream)

"Peter" <Ex-Brit ATrogers DOTcom (adjust accordingly)> wrote in message
[...]
: > :
: > : Also unless I missed it, there is nothing in the article suggesting the
: > Beta
: > : will be publicly available so we can hope but should not expect it..
: > :
: > : --
: > : Jupiter Jones [MVP]
: > : http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
: > :
: > :
: > : : > : > "According to CNET, the Windows Longhorn Beta 1 is supposedly set for
: > : > release this June. The Register has commentary on the delays the new
: > : > OS has faced." From the article: "Longhorn was originally supposed to
: > : > ship in 2004. In May, this year release was pushed back to 2005. This
: > : > week Longhorn's availability has been delayed even further, with
: > : > Microsoft execs declining to say when exactly the operating system
: > : > might ship, eWeek reports."
: > : >
: > : >
: > : >
: > : >
: >
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+Longh...3.html?part=rss&tag=5566423&subj=news.1012.20
: > : >
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

Yves Leclerc

How do you want Longhorn repair itself? Would the self repair remove
applications that are not from Microsoft (ex: Remove Mozialla and reinstall
IE?) This would mean that all non-Miscrosoft written software can be
removed/replaced ! It would be giving way too much control back to MS.
Another round of anti-trust???

jeffrey

Hi,

Just the ability to give itself a level 3 diagnostic would be nice. LOL

Jeff

Al Smith

Microsoft can take as long as they want to release Longhorn in my opinion. I
just want Microsoft to make a great operating system and if they need more
time then I wonder why people are in such a hurry to have a new operating
system. Life is challenging enough in many ways and there is no need to rush
something as important as the next operating system from Microsoft. My guess
is that Longhorn will be released as a full retail version in 2007.

If it's going to have another version of Product Activation in it,
Gates can stick it up his butt.

Peter

What's so hard about Product Activation?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada,
XP Home SP2.
Pentium 4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
Extreme Hi-Speed Cable.

Alias

Normally, it isn't a problem but sometimes it f*cks up and locks you out of
your computer.

Alex Nichol

Peter said:
.and how about incorporating some Star-Trek style self-diagnosis and
repair?? Kidding, of course.

And I can just see the screams from all those who would not be able to
adjust, tune and tweak to their own prejudices

Peter

So can I - LOL

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada,
XP Home SP2.
Pentium 4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
Extreme Hi-Speed Cable.

Peter

I've never had a problem... that's too bad.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada,
XP Home SP2.
Pentium 4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
Extreme Hi-Speed Cable.

Al Smith

What's so hard about Product Activation?

It's intrusive, even when it works. You are asked to prove the
validity of your claim to use the software you just paid money
for. If you don't make the extra effort to prove your validity, to
Microsoft's satisfaction, the software you paid for stops working.

It inhibits computer owners from upgrading their machines. They
are afraid that if they buy a new card or harddrive, suddenly
their computers will stop working, and they'll have to be phoning
Microsoft, begging to have the software they've already bought and
paid for reactivated. On their time. Microsoft doesn't care how
much inconvenience Product Activation causes their customers.

It intimidates people into buying copies of Windows that they
don't need to buy. For example, is someone with an OEM copy of
windows and no CD upgrades and trips the Product Activation
countdown, and neither Microsoft nor the company that sold them
the computer will help them get activated, they are coerced into
buying a new copy of Windows, even though they've already paid for
Windows with their computer.

Dan

This thread should be renamed the positives and negatives of product
activation. LOL!!

[...]

Don Burnette

Al said:
If it's going to have another version of Product Activation in it,
Gates can stick it up his butt.

Whooo, that's telling them.
So don't buy it, period.
Go to Linux.