London Tram Crash

Reaction score
It has just been released that the tram was traveling at 43.5 mph when it crashed on the corner, the speed limit is 12 mph at that point. There is no doubt that the driver will be prosecuted and probably get a prison sentence not that will really satisfy the relatives of those killed. A needless accident that should never of happened. Our thoughts go out to those relatives of those killed and injured and our thanks for the emergency services for their service at this crash.

Last edited:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Wow, that's not good! :(

We've been away so I've been a little out of touch with the news, so this is the first I've heard about it. How awful!

Reaction score
7 dead and 50 injured. He knew speed limit but tram was going that fast! Manslaughter is not a lengthy enough sentence. Accidental if asleep? Maybe! Negligence accounts for everything here I think. If he was awake then life in prison with no parole!!!!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Three and a half times the speed limit !!!! :eek:

That is criminal and I imagine the driver will pay for it. He certainly should. It's like driving on the motorway at 240mph. :eek:

A man who uses that very service regularly stated that the tram always went round that bend at a fair old lick - he estimated much more than 12mph. Sounds like an accident was going to happen sooner or later.

Driverless buses and trams would have avoided this mess.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Suppose the driver blacked out?

If that happened in a train the dead mans handle would have prevented the train from carrying on and an electronic warning system would have alerted third parties to the danger.

Supposing, just supposing, the driver had an unexpected blackout, would then the tram line owners be responsible for those deaths and injuries? Cost cutting for maximum profit margin.

People are always quick to want to hang somebody but there's often two (or more) sides to every story.

Of course if the driver was at fault then a jail term is in order.

I know that tram line, it starts at Beckenham, opposite a nightclub that used to be called The Mistral and where I saw lots of bands in the late sixties/early seventies, but I've never ridden on it.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
According to The Guardian the tram did have a dead man's handle.

"The Bombardier-built tram is believed to have been equipped with a “deadman’s handle”, a safety device that would trigger an alarm should a driver take his hand off the controls, and would apply the brakes after three seconds. But there is no equivalent of the track safety and control systems that would automatically stop any train that was speeding." Full article HERE

Seems that the standard excuse now is " I blacked out". It appears that there have been several incidents of taking the corner too quickly but none have resulted in a derailment before.

We may (or may not) find out what happened later.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Fair nuff. All I'm ever interested in is the truth and would like to think I'm not quick to point the finger without full evidence.

Strange how this service has been running for sixteen years without incident and then we hear of a report around a week earlier of speeding at the same point on the track and then this crash. Subtle terrorism perhaps?

Or just driver stupidity?

I note with some interest the driver's trade union are also trying to pin the blame on the tram operators and defend the driver. They would, wouldn't they?

We shall see.

Ask a Question