Ethics

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Some of you may recall I pranged me motor last week. Since then I have been unindated with phone calls from the broker and several different departments of the insurance company I'm with.

Yesterday a young lady phoned me up, asked me a couple of questions to convince her I am me then warned me the conversation was being recorded for *whatever* reason but the real truth they record calls, as we all know, is to cover their behinds.

She then asked me how I was feeling since the accident. I paused, blinked, then burst out laughing. I replied 'The mood I'm in and how I feel at this moment in time has nothing to do with the accident'.

'So You're feeling well then Mr Stomp?'

'Yes, I am, thanks'

'No whiplash or other injuries from the accident, no stress-related symptoms?'

'Nope, not a one'

'Ok, I'll phone you back in a week to make sure you're still well'

And that was that.

It was only later when I got to thinking that I realised she was covering the insurance company's liability should I have been injured or decided after the accident that I had been injured.

Has it come to this? Are we so Americanised?

All these petty penny pinching liars and fraudsters thinking they're clever to fake injury and make a few bob from the insurance company? Thus, incidentally, making all of our policies higher each year.

It saddened me a great deal to be quite honest.

If I think back to all the scrapes I've been through in this life and just patched myself and shrugged, I probably could have been a millionaire had I decided to sue sue sue.

Sad.

Now here's the question - what would you have done? Knowing full well that as the other driver drove into me the case will almost certainly be found in my favour.

Would you have claimed compensation? How many people would do that?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Would you have claimed compensation? How many people would do that?

No I wouldn't have, unless I was really injured..Dishonesty always has a way of coming back to bite you in the ar*e...

Reaction score
Sadly we live in a "where there's blame, there's a claim" society these days!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

Would you have claimed compensation?

Sadly, yes.

And, no I wouldn't.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, I wouldn't either - and I'd like to think that most people wouldn't do that, but perhaps I'm naive.

One of my pet hates is the ambulance chasers you see in city centres, asking passers by if they have ever injured themselves doing anything (listing examples like falling over on uneven pavement!?). I've even seen them right outside Manchester Royal Infirmary on Oxford Road.

Reaction score
A so called friend claimed on me after assuring me it wasnt my fault. Even confirming to a good friend of mine on side of motorway there was no car in lane as I pulled out. He even told the motorway service safety officer it wasnt my fault. Then low and behold after he got home 2weeks later i recieved a letter from brian camp informing me he was claiming for injury. Pr*ck

He also tried to claim for his petrol and toll expenses. I was taking him to nottingham to get some furniture and stuff from his old flatmates house.

Needless to say ive never spoken to him since

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nope I would not put in a false claim. It is hard enough fighting a legitimate claim.

:)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
If it were Russell Brand in the other car i would :)
called come uppence

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
In 50 years that I have been roaming on this planet I have learn t one thing, when you tell the truth you do not need to make notes but when you lie you have to maintain a register as it would be impossible to remember, when, where, how and for what you lied about.

So my short answer, is "NO"

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well said Quad :nod: and no, I wouldn't make a false claim either. If uninjured, I'd just be feeling very relieved that it was only the car that got bent a bit ;) (Having said that, I'm sorry to hear about your's Flopps.)

Reaction score
i would have made a claim.Only because insurance company's are crooks themselves,do you honestly think they would hesitate to screw you over..They do it all the time refusing and fighting legitimate claims hoping the claimant dies before they have to pay up..happens all the time,so screw them

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

Would you have claimed compensation?

Howdy from across the pond :)

I wounldnt have - i cant fake being in pain :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
labatts said:
i would have made a claim.Only because insurance company's are crooks themselves,do you honestly think they would hesitate to screw you over..They do it all the time refusing and fighting legitimate claims hoping the claimant dies before they have to pay up..happens all the time,so screw them

And therein lies the difference between the two sides of the Atlantic really.

So who's the worst?

Me, with morals and no business sense or those who will gain no matter what the ethical cost?

Dunno, really, I may be skint but I can live with myself.

And yes, I know I'm probably stupid, but I just can't do that crap, I really can't.

Reaction score
your not stupid at all..you did the right thing..i've just seen alot of abuse by insurance companies so i have zero sympathy for them.maybe it's different on your side of the atlantic ,on this side insurance companies are pure evil

Ask a Question