War

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
VJ Day has come around again, here's a link to the BBC news story:

60 Years

I don't want to dismiss the importance of what went down in those years but just like WW1 and The Boer War, I do rather hope memories start to fade.

We now have many new generations and just as we didn't really want to know about Mafeking and stuff, soon those people born from 1990 onwards will consider WW2 as purely history. Which is a good thing, I think.

Japan, Germany, new kids should see them as allies now.

If we went back further in history, Brits could consider just about everybody their enemy, as well as the Germans, we could list the French and Spanish as well. And many others.

Things have changed, our biggest threat now is caused by poverty and perverted priests from the Middle East, or with Middle east Sympathies.

Such is history. This is 2010.

I would just like to say this though.

When I was younger I considered Hiroshima and Nagasaki abominations, perversions and crimes against humanity.

To a certain degree, I still do, it just shows us what mankind is capable of and is always there as a reminder.

But. A quote from that news article:

"Some of the other prisoners tried to escape but they were caught. Their heads were chopped off in front of us so we would not think about doing the same thing."

Syd Tavender, 93, from Cheltenham, still has nightmares about his experience as a Japanese prisoner of war (PoW) during World War II.

By 15 August 1945 - the date Japan formally surrendered - 90,332 Britons had been killed, taken prisoner, wounded or were classified "missing, presumed dead".

During WW2 the Japanese were committing atrocities on a par with the German concentration camps. Bridge over the River Kwai. a watered down movie, spells this out.

If you knew that your country was treating Japanese POW's civilly and knew that your countrymen captured by the Japanese were being tortured to death by forced labour and other means - how would you feel?

The airplane Enola Gaye stopped that suffering. Stopped that cruelty and put an end to the war. It's possible that Einstein has kept world peace for over 60 years. Think about it. We are human beings with huge cultural differences that don't always sit easily with each other.

Two atomic bombs were an obscenity.

But so was beheading prisoners who once lived peacefully in Liverpool, London, Leeds and Swansea.

Anyhow, I just thinking out loud, let us all know our enemies but more importantly let us know our allies.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes war has always been an abomination.

However, the A-bombs that devastated Hiroshima and Nagasaki and killed hundreds of thousands did bring an end to the war. It is felt that had the war not ended then that the total deaths on both sides would have exceeded those at the two cities that were bombed. I know it's no consolation to the civilians that were killed but the less killed the better.

I don't know what the answer is. I'm sure there will always be wars, unfortunately.

Mankind, civilised? Pah!

Ask a Question