Logitech Quick Cam Zoom

Michael Casey

I have installed a camera on my computer and a friend has
also. We both have Windows XP and use Internet Explorer
and AOL Instant Messaging. We cannot connect because of
the IE Firewall. Is there a way that I can allow the
video I.M.s to get through without disabling the
firewalls?

Carol

I can't help you solve this, because I'm having a similar
issue. You can poke a hole in your firewall, rather than
disabling the entire firewall, for the port that AIM is
using, however I don't know which port it is. If you
have AOL 9.0, you may be able to get help from AOL
customer support. However, good luck with AIM 5.5 (the
free version). There is no customer support.

Note that if you are using the free version of AIM 5.5,
both of you need to have this same version installed.

I know that Yahoo's instant messenger uses port 5100. I
haven't tried this yet with my firewall and AIM. Our
video works, but the audio is only working in one
direction. Same problem with MSN messenger and Yahoo
messenger. Good luck! Carol

John Ski

Subject: Logitech Quick Cam Zoom
From: "Carol" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 2/22/2004 1:19 AM Eastern Standard Time

I can't help you solve this, because I'm having a similar
issue. You can poke a hole in your firewall, rather than
disabling the entire firewall, for the port that AIM is
using, however I don't know which port it is. If you
have AOL 9.0, you may be able to get help from AOL
customer support. However, good luck with AIM 5.5 (the
free version). There is no customer support.

Note that if you are using the free version of AIM 5.5,
both of you need to have this same version installed.

I know that Yahoo's instant messenger uses port 5100. I
haven't tried this yet with my firewall and AIM. Our
video works, but the audio is only working in one
direction. Same problem with MSN messenger and Yahoo
messenger. Good luck! Carol
I'm using AOL 9.0, Cable Modem, MSN Messenger, Zone Alarm (Free Ver.) set to
medium, and Enat Voice for MSN Messenger (www.easyfp.com) and communicate
without problems with my daughter in Chicago. Of course, when done using the
Webcam I reset ZA to high. There is a trial period for ENat so you can make
sure it solves your problem. I had the same symptom you describe video fine
audio not working.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Carol,
Thank You. I'm trying to narrow down the ports that AIM
runs on. I have entered another post. Maybe someone
knows. You're right about AIM 5.5. They just run you in
circles and there is no way to contact them since I am
not an AOL subscriber. On their FAQ page, they tell you
to open ports 1024 through 5000. I'll probably do that if
I can't get a more specific answer. Once again, thanks
for your help.
Mike Casey