Login profile problem

G

I have recently moved the XP systems to our new 2003 domain. We still have the old NT4.0 domain running. The first time users log into the XP box the get a new profile and everything is great. After they log off and if no one reboots the computer when they log in next day they get a message stating that, "Windows cannot load the loacal profile, it may be because the profile is corrupt or the permissions are not set right. Detail The file can not be used because it is in use by another process." The next message states that they are being logged in with a temporary profile. I have found that restarting the computer at this point will allow the user to log in under his/her normal profile at this point. My question is what other process is using the profile's files and how do I stop it from doing that

Thank you for your help

G

Patrick

Thank you for your response. I have recreated the profiles many times using the procedures on the link you attached, but that has not fixed the problem. I sort of doubted it would because when the system was restarted the users could log in using there orginal profile. I think the key to figuring this out is finding out what process is using the profile after the user has logged off. Can anyone help me with this

Thank you for your hel

Rob

P

Peter Hutchison

I have recently moved the XP systems to our new 2003 domain. We still have the old NT4.0 domain running. The first time users log into the XP box the get a new profile and everything is great. After they log off and if no one reboots the computer when they log in next day they get a message stating that, "Windows cannot load the loacal profile, it may be because the profile is corrupt or the permissions are not set right. Detail The file can not be used because it is in use by another process." The next message states that they are being logged in with a temporary profile. I have found that restarting the computer at this point will allow the user to log in under his/her normal profile at this point. My question is what other process is using the profile's files and how do I stop it from doing that?

Thank you for your help!

Are you using Roaming or plain local profiles. The Roaming profile may
also be corrupt as well!

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

Ask a Question