login id/password on XP moved from domain to workgroup?

Moved my XP box from a domain (home PDC crashed) to a workgroup. Now I can't login to box with old user id (Ive tried everything, including domain\userid). Any ideas? I am trying to preserve the old id environment. Thanks

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

mike said:
Moved my XP box from a domain (home PDC crashed) to a workgroup. Now I can't login to box with old user id (Ive tried everything, including domain\userid). Any ideas? I am trying to preserve the old id environment. Thanks

Hi

First, you will need to log on with a local user (with administrator rights). If you don't have a local user or forgot the password for the local Administrator user, take a look here:

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

When logged on with a local user with administrator rights, start regedit.exe.

Under the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft
\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

locate the profile path for your domain id (in the value ProfileImagePath).

Then, for an existing and working user on the system that also is listed under ProfileList key (do NOT change the builtin Administrator user), change the profile path to use the same as the one found under your domain id.
Then, logoff and logon again.

If you don't have a local user you can use for the step above, create one first.

If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

More here as well:

Subject: Re: Lost profile when domain name changes
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=262e40881c856d53

HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you have
destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so,
you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid.
You'll need to create a new local user account for your use.

1) Restart the computer and log in using the built-in Administrator
account.

2) Click Start > Run and enter "control userpasswords2" followed by
clicking "OK."

3) Click "Add....", creating a new username and filling in the
desired information, and then click "Next >"

4) Set the password as desired and click "Next >"

5) Select the desired privilege access level for the new user account
and click "Finish."

Please see the following Knowledge Base article for an alternate
method and more information:

6) Once the new account has been created, follow the instructions in
the following Knowledge Base article to copy data from your old domain
user account's profile to the new one:

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

mike said:
Moved my XP box from a domain (home PDC crashed) to a workgroup. Now
I can't login to box with old user id (Ive tried everything, including
domain\userid). Any ideas? I am trying to preserve the old id
environment. Thanks

mike

thank you, very informative. i will try it.

.

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=262e40881c856d53

HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter