Login forms

Jeff Conrad

"John Jenkins" wrote in message
I'm trying to develop a login form for an access database. This needs
to be quite simple with user, password and access level. I don't want
to use the Access User Level Security at the moment.

I found an earlier thread where Jeffc had a solution. I have tried to
email him but it bounces back.

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?h...%24e7d4d750%2435ef2ecf%40TKMSFTNGXA11&rnum=17

Can someone point me to a tutorial to set this up.

All of Jeff's representatives are busy assisting other clients.
Your call is important to us so please continue to hold and your call will be
answered in the order in which it was received.
Your approximate wait time is, <machine voice> "43 hours" </machine voice>
Thank you.

<sound of elevator music in the background.....zzzz.....>

Sorry for the bounce back e-mail; keeps the SPAM down.

Login security system from 2002? Wow, that is some OLD stuff of mine!!

You are in luck, we still have some old copies of this system laying around
if you do not mind the dust. We use it to prop up the desk now.

I assume you did read the Disclaimer in the thread, yes? This will keep
out people who do not know very much about Access, but not people
who are comfortable using Access regularly.

I can certainly send you a zipped copy if you wish. I am out of the office
today and only have Access 97 in front of me right now. I just took a look
at everything and it works just fine, but the code is not the prettiest since it
is some of my early work. You will have to excuse the less-than-professional
coding. You will have to convert it to whatever Access version you are using,
but it should be no problem doing that.

The file has 2 tables, 9 forms, and 2 modules in addition to the Switchboard
form and table. There is also a ReadMe form and table as well.

If you would like a copy of this file, please let me know where you want the
file sent to. PLEASE make sure you mung the e-mail address though so you
do not get flooded with SPAM! I may try and find a home for this file, but
for now this is the only way.

Here is the text of the ReadMe file to help when you receive it:This sample database demonstrates how to use a login form to control access
to the database as well as any forms and/or reports you desire. This certainly
is not "rock-solid" security by any means. Anyone with a lot of Access experience
could circumvent this quite easily. However, it will prevent most "casual" users
of Access from messing things up. For the very best security implement
full-blown Access User-Level Security.

To add additional security it is a good idea to distribute MDE files to users.
That will prevent any tampering of your code. Always keep several backup
copies of your original MDB file. This sample also demonstrates the use of
custom menu and toolbars which can also increase database security. It is also
a good idea to disable the shift key bypass in code. Information can be found
at www.mvps.org/access. I've used the code from KB Article #209871 to use
as each user's "password." This provides another barrier for prying eyes.

This basically works by storing the login ID in a public variable. Each form
or report you would like to secure will check the login ID before opening.
This is better suited for a single user system. If an unexpected error occurs,
however, the variable will be reset and Access will no longer know who is
logged in. By using MDE files, the variable will not be reset on unexpected
errors.

This sample has three users already set up to test wilth. JeffC (password jeff),
Admin (password admin), and User (password user). I also have three User
Levels called Owner, Administrator, and User. More can easily be added.
Notice how my "Super User" and Security Level are hidden on all the forms.
As the owner I'm basically "invisible" to even the database administrators.
(Hold Shift key while opening to bypass everything).

To use these functions in your own database, follow these steps:
1. Import the objects into your database. IMMEDIATELY compile your
database before doing anything else to avoid a nasty bug in Access 2000!
2. If you're using Access 2000, 2002, or 2003 make sure to set a reference
to the DAO object library.
3. Look at the code in the "Open" event of the administration forms to see
how I check each user's security level. Add the same code to whatever forms
and/or reports in your own database.
4. Change the administration form's properties area which point to my
included sample menu and toobar to your own or the standard ones.
5. Change the Login form's code to open whatever main form/switchboard
code you want to open after the Login form closes. I used the built-in Access
Switchboard Manager, but you certainly do not need to use this feature.

That's all there is to it! Have fun. Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie
Conrad Systems Development

John Jenkins

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the help - whats the best way of passing you my 'good' email address.

Many Thanks

John Jenkins

Jeff Conrad

Hi John,

I can certainly understand your apprehension of posting an e-mail address.
You may send a text-only message to the address below. Please note
that this is a "dump" e-mail account for our office and receives hundreds of
junk messages daily. In order for me to see your message amongst all the
free meds offers, please put "Access Junkie" in the subject line. Let me know
where you want the zip file sent. Also, I am back in the office so let me know
if you want the 97 version or the 2000 version. The 2000 version will work
just fine with 2000, 2002, and 2003.

administrator
at
ernstbros
dot
com

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie

in message

Johnje

HI Jeff

Sent a mail to the address supplied - many thanks. Mistakenly sent
from my wifes account but my address is in the mail.

Can you send in Access 2000 format please.

Cheers

John Jenkins

Jeff Conrad

in message
HI Jeff

Sent a mail to the address supplied - many thanks. Mistakenly sent
from my wifes account but my address is in the mail.

Can you send in Access 2000 format please.

Cheers

John Jenkins

File is on the way now John.
It is passing through Customs right now.

Please post back here so I know you received the file.

Hope it helps in your projects.

Johnje

Jeff

Many thanks - got the file - I'll let you know when I give it a whirl.
The database app is for low-tech users just need to put in enough to
deter them doing something silly so this is great.

I had something similar in my last job but forgot to take a copy - doh!

Thanks again

John

Jeff Conrad

Jeff

Many thanks - got the file - I'll let you know when I give it a whirl.
The database app is for low-tech users just need to put in enough to
deter them doing something silly so this is great.

I had something similar in my last job but forgot to take a copy - doh!

Thanks again

Glad you received the file OK John.
For your needs it should suffice just fine.

You're welcome, good luck with your project.