Logged off Immediately after Logging on

G

I posted this problem here because I get an access denied when trying to log on to the problematic computer's registry from an XP Pro Machine on the same workgroup. Please read below for my original problem.

I have Windows XP Home PC that logs off as soon as I log on. It does this with all users even in Safe mode. I read another newsgroup thread that refers to making a change in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\Userinit:Reg_SZ:C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe. I tried to connect to the registry from the registry editor of a WinXP Pro computer and I keep getting authentication failures. I have both machines on the same workgroup but I can't even map a drive to the XP Home machine let alone get to the registry. I even tried to map to the ICS$ share first.

HELP!

O

Ovidiu Popa

You need credentials (username/password) with administrative rights on the
machine you are trying to connect to.

Ovidiu Popa
MVP

DavidMCSE said:
I posted this problem here because I get an access denied when trying to
log on to the problematic computer's registry from an XP Pro Machine on the
same workgroup. Please read below for my original problem.
I have Windows XP Home PC that logs off as soon as I log on. It does this
with all users even in Safe mode. I read another newsgroup thread that
refers to making a change in the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\Winlogon\Userinit:Reg_SZ:C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe. I tried to
connect to the registry from the registry editor of a WinXP Pro computer and
I keep getting authentication failures. I have both machines on the same
workgroup but I can't even map a drive to the XP Home machine let alone get
to the registry. I even tried to map to the ICS$ share first.

G

Thanks for the reply. I did try to log on with the administrator account and all local accounts with administrative priveledges on that computer. I get access denied every time even though I am absolutely positive I'm using the correct username/password.

Ask a Question