Locked toolbar

Jeff Harman

I was hijacked by iSearch and used LavaSoft AdAware to
clean up. Now the toolbars are locked. The right click
menu is greyed out (with the exception of the "text
labels" check box). Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff Harman

(Remove nospam from the address to send email directly)

Don Varnau

Jeff,
I'm trying to help someone else with this. Let me know if this advice is
helpful.

Run regedit and search for (Edit> Find) the
Values "NoToolbarOptions" or "NoToolbarCustomize"
Either may show up 2 or more times. Wherever you find that DWORD value,
right-click it
and modify the value from 1 to 0.

Don

Don:

On XP on the "NoToolbarCustomize" exists in the registry,
but, I had already tried to set them to 0. I just double
checked and they were still set to 0.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
-Jeff Harman

--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Jeff Harman" <nospamj.harman1[at]comcast.net> wrote in message
I was hijacked by iSearch and used LavaSoft AdAware to
clean up. Now the toolbars are locked. The right click
menu is greyed out (with the exception of the "text
labels" check box). Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff Harman

(Remove nospam from the address to send email directly)

.

Don Varnau

A few things you might try (I'm tossing out guesses)

Open Ad-aware's quarantine (the box icon) Reinstall isearch and try
ToolbarCop from http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/

With isearch reinstalled, is it in add/remove programs?

Leave isearch installed and try Spybot S&D from
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=spybotsd

If Spybot can't remove it, download HijackThis from
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html and post a log to the
HijackThis/spyware forum at one of these sites. Manual removal may not cause
the toolbar problem.
http://forum.mvps.org
http://www.net-integration.net/forums.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

Let me know if any of these ideas help,
[...]

skink19752000

Jeff,
the same thing happended to me today. Have you found a
cure?
Thanks,
Ken

Ramesh [MVP]

Jeff,

Open Regedit and goto this location:

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
Backup the key and delete both "NoBandCustomize" and "NoToolbarCustomize" values in the right pane.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Free Online Virus Scanners and Security Tests:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Scanners.htm

[...]

Toolbars are locked - Unable to customize toolbar and tool band:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm

--
[...]

David R

Had the same thing happen to me this morning. Also iSearch.

Very aggravating. Will try your fix.

Thank you.