Windows XP Local Profile Problem

Reaction score
Help Help Help Help Help!!!!!

HELP!!

My god, i hate computers!!

I've just got home and turned my computer on, and it came up with a box when windows started about the local profile and how i was getting logged on, on a temporary profile. It's logged on with all the Sony Vaio stuff as if i've just bought the computer. None of my stuff is on it etc.

I managed to go in under safe mode and copy some pictures etc etc out onto a pen drive which is good. But what the hell has happened and how do i get it back?!! This is a disaster guys!! Is there a way to get my windows profile back?

Please help.

Yours in begging.

Bodhi :confused: :(

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's not too uncommon - don't worry quite yet! Sometimes just a restart can fix this problem, but if the corruption is more serious then the best thing to do is to create a new account in safe mode, and just copy the old user profile folder over the top of the new one.

Reaction score
I tried a restart Ian, didn't help.

Also, not really that sure about creating a new account. I don't use accounts on XP, it just starts straight into windows. How do i go about creating a new one and copying my old one over? I need to get this done soon cause i've got an exam next wed and i need to get the computer up and running for that.

Thanks for replying though, kind of makes me feel better than you're not panicing!! lol.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't have XP any more so I can't remember exactly - but go into the control panel > user accounts once you are in safe mode and it should be self explanatory. Someone else here may know a method to fix this without doing that, but I'm not aware of one myself.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just thought i'd let you know i've got it fixed. I just did a system restore. I'd never used system restore before, but it worked a treat. Im sure it'll happen again though! lol.

Any advice on how to stop it happening again?

Thanks again.

Bodhi

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Hey guys,

Just thought i'd let you know i've got it fixed. I just did a system restore. I'd never used system restore before, but it worked a treat. Im sure it'll happen again though! lol.

Any advice on how to stop it happening again?

Thanks again.

Bodhi

Pen and paper :D

Ask a Question