Loads of downloading

Reaction score
Hi all I will be sporadic member as I have hundreds of music CD's to download onto my hard drive but will pop in and out just to keep an eye on you all:p:D:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't envy that task, I bet that'll take a while :eek:.

Fingers crossed for smooth sailing :).

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have hundreds of music CD's to download onto my hard drive

Small suggestion. Why not buy a drive you can download all your music to so the next time Linux goes Pete Tong you already have it downloaded to ? I have all my music on 3 2TB drives which are separate to my OS drive so if Windows ever goes wrong short of those drives being corrupted I don't have to download everything again.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is this the 5th or 4th time you've had to do that now?

As ED said, you need an alternative storage facility to save you doing this tiresome chore time after time.

I've advised this before so there shouldn't be a need to say it again really, I'm just dumbfounded that so far you haven't carried out this labour and time saving advice.

My music is on a pair of 2Tb drives configured to RAID 1 in an enclosure meaning that if one of those drives fails the other will still have all my music. Although tbh most music I listen to now is on vinyl.

A hard drive is a mechanical device and as such cannot be relied upon as a safe form of storage. Solid State Hard Drives, although a lot more reliable than mechanical hard drives, are still not 100% reliable.

And operating systems, as you know, sometimes crash.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP.

How much space does your music take up? I ask as a 1Tb external drive can be had for around £50.

A pair of 1Tb drives and an external RAID enclosure will set you back around £190 however but a single external disk is way better than nothing and as it won't be used often, if at all, it should last a very long time. I'm actually still using a few hard drives that are now 8 or more years old, they don't all fail.

Odds on if you decline to make some backup you'll be posting a similar thread to this in 6 months time or so.

Whatever :D Good luck.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I only have about 7.5 GB of music but it's backed up on an SD card AND a USB stick (which I use in the car). Simple cheap solution.

Can't imagine that they would both fail at the same time. :)

Reaction score
Still downloading CD's so many are not on the data base so have to type all the info the PC:confused: Oh well onward and upward.

Ask a Question