Morris

I have a slow front page but the people who own the site like it. If I were
to add a welcome page (splash page), Is there a way load the slow page while
a person reads the ssplash page?

Thomas A. Rowe

No, but what is on the current home page that is making it slow to load?

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Andrew Murray

can you give us the URL so we can voice opinions over 'slow' or not?

Best way is to go back over your images and optimize them to smaller file sizes
as much as possible. If it's a large image or photo consider slicing it into
smaller 'chunks' and reassembling it in an HTML table (there is software that
slices and dices and generates the code for you - similar function to what
products like Fireworks and Photoshop can do.) There are freeware/shareware
products that do just the slice & dice & reassemble in html table/code.

Also look at preloading images. search google for 'preload image scripts'.
They're mainly used for things like rollover/imageswaps, but it can't hurt but to
try. Especially if you have a graphical kind of menu, it will load alot faster
since it will be sitting in memory/web cache, and not downloading from the site
each time the page is accessed.

The URL would be helpful also, so we can see just how slow it is.

Morris

OK! I know your going to crucify me on this site but here it is.
http://www.freewebs.com/atlanticaudubonsociety/
It's slow for the dial-up people of which I am one. Everything on that page
slows it up. I did optimize everything..I think. I tried such things as
dosen't work on IE. I haven't tried the slicing stuff. I do have Photoshop.
I would like to try slicing. Get your coffee while my site downloads.

Thomas A. Rowe

Make the sound file a link, so that is doesn't automatically load.
Remove the hidden hit counter script and see if that improves load time.
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Morris

You have two interesting method I should try. Making a link to the sound
file. Would I eliminate the plug-in and link the sound file to somthing like
"Click Here to Hear the Ducks"?
I have a hidden hit counter script beside my regular hit counter script on
that page? I didn't notice. I don't need two scripts.
Thomas A. Rowe said:
Make the sound file a link, so that is doesn't automatically load.
Remove the hidden hit counter script and see if that improves load time.
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

"Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Thomas A. Rowe

#1 Yes, just import the file, and create a link to it, such as "Click Here to Hear the Ducks"

#2 Remove the external hidden hit counter.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Morris

Thanks for the help. I did remove the hidden hit counter and I did get some
improvement.
Now I'll