Loaded SP2 now I'm in a boot loop...HELP!!!!!

While rebooting from loading SP2 I get the error message, "Autochk not
found-skipping autocheck program", then it reboots and goes through the same
routine indefinitely! HELP

Will Denny

Hi

After the next reboot, try tapping F8 to access a screen that has 'Last
Known Good Configuration' as an option. See if that helps you to boot into
Windows.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Guy with late home work" <Guy with late home
news:[email protected]...

Chad Harris

Guy with late homework--

See if a UMAX driver could be the problem via this KB:

After you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, your computer restarts
continuously
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873161&Product=winxp

Over-heating, and a bad stick of RAM have been known to cause this--so if
software remedies don't do it, look to hardware, memory sticks in place,
cables, ect.

*Often, booting to the Recovery Console and running chkdsk /r will help this
problem.* I don't know if you have an XP CD, because lately so many people
with boot problems have not had one supplied by their OEM, but if you do
this would be my first choice to try to ditch the endless loop this way.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314058

Scroll down for instructions on running chkdsk /r.

Using the Recovery Console
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_bjid.asp

RC Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...proddocs/en-us/recovery_console_overview.mspx

Recovery Console in XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

I didn't know if you could break the loop to F8 as Will says. In my
experience, Last Known Good Configuration almost never works statistically,
but if it does and this is gone, more power to you. Keep in mind that it's
a snapshot of your configuration immediately after you booted, so if you
have been booted up for a long time then you're not going to track settings
changes since that time.

I'd first try to F8 to the Windows Advanced Options menu and use Safe Mode
and then try System Restore from Safe Mode. You will probably be back at
the version before you installed SP2. There is also this option for aborted
SP2 installs or SP2 installs with the problem like the one you're having,
but again System Restore may not solve your endless loop problem and Last
Known Good may not. You may need to run a chkdsk /r or use some of the
other tools I describe.

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP (Info on F8 and
Advanced Options Menu)

How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&product=windowsxpsp2

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

If you were unable to use the Recovery Console because you had no XP CD, and
haven't installed it already but could get back to Windows:

If you can tap F8 to get back to Windows via either Safe Mode or as a last
resort in my opinion, Last Known Good Configuration, then you're still faced
with the possible "endless loop problem." That's why my first suggestion
was to boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r from the recovery
console.

You would be possibly faced with the endless loop proble again or when you
installed SP2 so I would run chkdsk /r from the command prompt or the run
box.

The reason for the endless loop is often that something has set the volume's
"dirty bit." When a volume's dirty bit is set, autochk automatically checks
the volume for errors the next time the computer is restarted.If a volume's
dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be in an
inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is online
and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume and the
computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or because
corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when the
computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

See if you have any disk corrpution by typing "fsutil dirty query [C]: Sub
any drive you want for "C". If it says the volume isn't dirty, you don't
need to run chkdsk because there aren't any errors on the disk. But I know
you want to run it to see that it runs properly without this read-only
error. The KB I'm going to list advises you to run "chkdsk volume_label: /v
/f" to fix this. This will fix any errors on the disk and the "v" causes it
to name each fixed file. Hopefully that will resolve it.
But if it doesn't then run "chkdsk_volume label: /r", and if that doesn't
then run the chkdsk /r from the recovery console.

If the disk is dirty, then System Restore is not going to fix that.

Every time Windows XP starts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan
all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is
set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f
verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the
volume.

Here's what to do:

Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: fsutil dirty query c: (or whatever drive
his XP is on). You'll get back either the drive "is dirty" or "it's not
dirty."

Info on a "Fsutil Query" in the KB below--also see the Explanation at
Windows Help and Support--type "helpctr" into your run box:

The Fsutil Query Tool:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5138-6240-728908.html

An Fsutil Query Does Not Work Properly on FAT or FAT32 Volumes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322275&Product=winxp

You have 4 choices that may work:

1) You can run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console. I think this is the
fastest and most effective. I've seen it work for this several times.

2) You can run the chkntfs /d and reboot and chkdsk won't run on the next
boot. What this does is to restore default settings. Note this is a
different command than chkdsk. Chkntfs is a command that displays or
specifies whether automatic checking is schduled to run on a FAT, FAT32, or
NTFS volume when the computer is started.

3) You should be able to fix this by using "chkntfs/X C" if C were the
problem drive or whatever letter--this works when the drive is dirty and I
showed you above how to verify this. The advantage of sticking the X in the
command is that it saves time by causing the command to skip checking cycles
within the folder.

4) You can go to Kelly's XP Tweaks and click line 76 left column and see if
this VB script will stop it.

Kelly's Tweaks

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In addition, When there is improper shutdown, the Autochk program runs on
all NTFS drives in XP, 2K, NT where a disk write was in process at the time
of shutdown. This gets exacerbated if you have write caching enabled on a
hard drive connected to a standard IDE controller. It improves performance,
by delaying data writing while other work is done, but it ups the risk of
lost data or corruption.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_cgwi.asp

Open the run box with the Windows Key + "r" and type in diskmgmt.msc. From
the graphical display in the bottom of the Disk Management window,
right-click the disc icon and chooose Properties. On the policies tab, clear
Enable Write Caching on the Disk. (Note this option, ie. the policies tab,
may not be available if your disk is connected to a High Performance ATA-66
or ATA-100 IDE controller.)

After you find the cause of the underlying problem if there is improper
shutdown, re-enable write caching.

Additional references for definitions context:

Chkdsk.exe or Autochk.exe starts when you try to shut down or restart your
computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831426&Product=winxp

An Fsutil Query Does Not Work Properly on FAT or FAT32 Volumes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322275&Product=winxp

hth,

Chad Harris
______________________

"Guy with late home work" <Guy with late home
While rebooting from loading SP2 I get the error message, "Autochk not
found-skipping autocheck program", then it reboots and goes through the same
routine indefinitely! HELP

Will,
I go from DOS screen to black XP screen to baby blue screen that has the
error message then the reboot. F8 command only gives me choice of boot device
cd/hdd/removable device.

Chad,
Tried the dos commands:
cd $NtServicePackUninstall$\Spuninst
batch spuninst.txt
exit

When it rebooted and I had a choice of safe and all other types of boot
everything went to a black screen with no activity except for the safe boot
that froze loading drivers in the dos screen. Any other suggestions?

Chad Harris said:
[...]

I tried your advice for repair install you gave someone else and worked
great!
Thanks,
Dave

Chad Harris

As I understand the series of posts you did, you got some directions from
one of Will's post on a repair/upgrade install, and you're in good shape.
The repair install is a very helpful underused, and unfortunately not well
enough understood tool that can be a lifesaver as far as your documents and
settings go, particularly when you aren't currently backed up the way you
would be in a perfect world.

I'm glad you're okay but I wonder are you back to XP or XP SP1 because I'd
like to be able to ID what got you in the loop so you can get SP2 in and not
have it occur again. There is a restart loop KB I linked for XP SP2 but
it's specific to a UMAX scanner driver installed on your computer:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873161&Product=winxp

One question I had was if you have an XP CD. Some say running chkdsk /r
from the Recovery Console, another command line of sorts is better than from
the run box or command prompt. If I were you I'd run a chkdsk /r from
somewhere though, in hopes that it will prevent you from getting into this
loop when you try to install XP SP2 again.

Also take a look at this in case you ever need it--to know it's available:

How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&product=windowsxpsp2

Glad you're up in Windows and running.

Chad Harris

Will,
I tried your advice for repair install you gave someone else and worked
great!
Thanks,
Dave

It is always preferable to uninstall just the SP2. It is a very easy process

Step 1: Manually Removing SP2 using Recovery Console

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM in your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive,
and then restart your computer. When the "Press any key to boot from CD"
message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the
Windows XP CD-ROM.
Note: Your computer must be configured to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start
from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, see your computer's documentation or
contact your computer's manufacturer.

2. The following message appears on the Welcome to Setup screen:

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on
your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

When you see this message, press R to start Recovery Console.

1. Type the number of the installation you wish to repair. If you only have
one installation of Windows on the computer, type 1 and press Enter.

2. Enter the administrator password and press Enter.

3. Type the following commands to start the manual uninstall and restart the
computer:

cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst

batch spuninst.txt

exit

During the batch uninstall you may encounter several "Access Denied" error
messages. This is normal as the files the batch file is trying to copy are
in use files and cannot be accessed.

After rebooting the computer, you can further diagnose the potential causes
of the service pack installation failure. Using SFC at this point is advised,
as it can verify whether system files have been modified or replaced. That
could be the cause of the problem.

Step 2: System File Checker

======

1. Put the Windows XP CD to the CD-ROM.

2. Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

3. Click Start, and click Run.

4. Type "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks and there is at least one
blank space between sfc and /scannow ) in the Open box, and click OK.

5. The missing files will be copied to the system.

Step 3: Delete PageFile in Safe Mode

======

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

4. Run the computer in Safe Mode.

Note: Please set your system to display hidden files:

5. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

6. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden
files and folders."

7. To display other hidden files, clear the "Hide protected operating system
files (Recommended)" check box.

8. Delete pagefile.sys on the root of C:

9. Please try to reinstall SP2 to check the installation problem.

IF THE ABOVE STEPS DOSE'NT WORK ,U HAVE TO TRY DOING A REPAIR ,IS REPAIR
DOSE'NT WORK ,TRY SURF EXCEL( FORMAT AND REINSTALL)...

Chad Harris

Nikhil--

This is useful info, presented in an organized format, but I fail to see
anything that would address the original problem--that downloading and
installing Win XP SP2 caused an endless bootloop. If you take the approach
that uninstalling and reinstalling an application or service pack might be
helpful because the next time may be a charm or files were damaged along the
way of the install, it may work. Most endless loops I've seen aren't
impacted by System File Checker at all, and you have to be able to get to
Windows first to run it. SFC is a very valuable tool, but often the endless
loop involves autochk in the context of chkdsk and I haven't ever seen SFC
fix that.

SFC may or may not be diagnostic of the reason *why the endless boot loop
occured* on installation of SP2. I wouldn't expect it to be.

Of course to be version compatible, SP2 would have to be uninstalled for
SFC, or SFC if run on SP2 would have to be pointed toward the service pack
install files on the hard drive, or if a CD were used it would have to be
slipstreamed to update to SP2.

There is also the possibility in a narrow instance, that the boot loop was
caused by the situation in the MSKB specific to SP2 I linked.

What's to say that if you don't try to address the reason why the bootloop
happened, it won't recur every time Dave tries to install SP2? That's one
reason I would find a chkdsk /r helpful--from the Recovery Console while he
was there if the repair install had not allowed him to get back to Windows
XP either SP1 or RTM.

An explanation of the new /C and /I Switches that are available to use with
Chkdsk.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314835

Best,

Chad Harris
_______________________

[...]

Chad, Thank you for your posts…

Please comment.

I just put together my first computer with all top brand hardware pieces…
nothing OEM .. except the Windows XP with SP2 disk…

I installed everything okay.. installed all the drivers that came with the
hardware… only one that said it wasn’t MS approved.. was the View sonic LCD
monitor… Also, I don’t have any printers or scanners hooked up to the
computer… just trying to get it running clean… (Note: I don’t own an Astra
scanner)

I have creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs … but my sound wasn’t working… so,
I went into device manager and selected the sound card.. updated the driver
with the disk in the drive.. and it worked, I had sound…. But somewhere after
that it started that reboot continuously thing… long story short.. I have
wiped the drive and started over 5 times… and found that article on the UMAX
driver… and searched for it on my system and found the .dll

I have been racking my brain to figure where I got it.. I scanned all the
disks… except for the Windows XP sp2 disk, and no luck… where I am getting
it… then I checked on the WinXP disk… sure enough it’s on there!! Why?? If
they don’t support the driver why is it in their driver.cab?????

It has been consistent in failing after I have windows install that one
driver… I don’t require Windows to install any other drivers.. just that
sound card one.

ALSO … I thought this was weird.. the umax.ini file was created at 2:55am..
I went to bed at 2:30am.. (trying to work on this) and I had left it
reformatting the drive and installing XP. When I woke… I had the blue screen
error message… waiting for me to read it.. I ended up reformatting again…..
at about 9:30am … so that umax.ini file should have been wiped… I don’t get
it. .. I did let Windows do the formatting.. and not fdisk… which I thought
would be the same.

I am reformatting again… and thinking .. maybe don’t install all the
drivers… OR … maybe let windows do all of them.. OR … update windows as soon
as possible.

The service pack in embedded on the disk.. so I can’t tell when it is
installed..

I really want my system to run at the best optimum capability it has. I
would think installing the drivers and utilities would do that. ARGHHH!!

Ron Sommer

Are you deleting before reformatting?
--
Ron Sommer

Chad Harris said:
[...]

Thanks Ron,

No. I am going to make sure it is wiped and start over…

Thanks,
Darci…

Unfortunately I think I will run into the same problem.

Chad Harris said:
[...]

Okay.. here is what I am thinking.. my theory…

When I first installed XP Pro.. I set up my 250 gb drive to be partitioned
by the set up (booted up by the Win XP sp2 disk – in my CD ROM)
C: 191232 mb
G: 191232 mb – note: it named the path with a G.. instead of D
Un partitioned 8 mb

I had the G partition highlighted when I hit enter.. I didn’t read too
well.. and missed that it would load XP on the highlighted partition. It
formatted the C partition then it formatted the G partition.

It installed great.. then read above at my first post in this thread..
things went to crap.. and continuously rebooted.. I thought.. well I wanted
XP to be on my C drive.. so I will reinstall XP and re partition again.. and
that should wipe it out…

Well .. this is what I did
Again .. split the drive like before..
C: 191232 mb
D: 191232 mb – this time it named it D – PERFECT

I made sure I had the C partition highlighted when I hit enter.. It only
formatted the C partition.. and not the D partition (this is where I think a
problem is) . it installed and things I thought were fine.. until it didn’t
find my sound card.. had problems loading the install disk for the Creative
Audigy 2zs sound card.. had windows install the driver off of the creative
disk.. then reboot loop kicked in shortly after that… It’s an approved
driver.. so I am confused - whatever..

After a few more attempts to reinstall like the second one.. it just crapped
out.. and get the dead black screen .. and never boots..

Here is my theory..
Duh, Windows only cares about windows getting on my drive.. so why bother
formatting the rest of the partitions that I set up.. so it never reformatted
the 2 partition the second time. Since I had the black screen of dead space..
I couldn’t go into windows and use my hard drive cd-disk that came with it to
reformat the D drive. .. AND I thought I “If I could just get into DOS.. then
I can format myself†I researched and learned about the whole FAT32 vs NTFS
thing.. “Ohâ€

This is what I am doing now.. I set up the partitions like this
C: 191232 mb
D: 50000mb – it rounded it to the true mb value – I didn’t write that done..
darn it
E: 20000 mb - again rounded
F: with whatever was left

I had the E partition highlighted.. so It will Format the C partition, the D
partition and then the F partition.. to be able to install XP. I am hoping
that will wipe out the drive and erase the other installed XPs..

So it is formatting right now.. as I type this. on My good ‘ol Windows 98
computer but, I need to upgrade.. I think.. LOL LOL I am not too impressed
with XP

Anyway.. now the set up formatted the first drives and is asking my how to
partition the next drive and has given me another options.. NTFS OR FAT It
only gave me the NTFS option before.

I guess the good news is, that I bought 2 250 gb drives.. I put one in as a
removeable drive.. with the case.. then I could back up my data onto another
hard drive.. I haven’t touched that drive… so it’s like new.. If I can’t get
this one working.. then I will swap the drives.. install XP as fresh and
new.. then later.. after XP is working and everything is installed and fine..
then I can wipe the extra drive.. BUT my fear is that installing the first
time wasn’t the problem… the continuously rebooting trigger was the problem..
and I haven’t really been able to isolate and prove what is causing that .. I
don’t have a scanner hooked up.. so I don’t know if UMAX is really being
used.. if so, I didn’t install it and the only disk that has the drivers on
it, that has entered my CD-ROM is the Windows XP Disk.. I can’t even figure
out what hard ware device is using it.. SO I will be in the same boat as
before…

I would love any advice ..

1) on my theory of the formatting & wiping the data that was previously
installed
2) Once I get a clean XP installed… how can I prevent the rebooting
continuously to stop..

Thanks so much!!
Darci

:

[...]

I can't get 191232 mb + 191232 mb to equal 250 GB.
250 GB - 7% = 231 GB
Half of 231 GB = 115 GB = 115000 mb

What other devices do you have?
Zip?