LITEON warranty is USELESS and WORTHLESS

No Longer a LiteOn Customer

This is a follow up on my recent posting in the subject.

As I said there, I contacted the BBB and this is the nicely printed
letter I received in reply (again, the letter is copied VERBATIM,
except for my full name and other personal details) :

<<<<<<<<<< QUOTE >>>>>>>>>>
February 6, 2004

RE: Lite-On Technology Corporation

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are sorry to advise that although we have contacted the subject
firm in an effort to obtain a response to your complaint, we have not
received a reply.

It is our feeling that being responsive to customer complaints is an
essential part of good business. Consumer complaints and business
inquirers.

Your complaint has been recorded as UNANSWERED. The firm's apparent
unresponsiveness has been recorded in the company file and will be
made part of our report to the public.

It may be that in the interim this matter has been adjusted and we
were not notified. If so, please advise us so our records may be
changed. Should the firm respond to your complaint in the future, we
will forward the response to you and adjust our report accordingly.

__Yes the company has responded.

If settlement was offered, have you received it?

Is the complaint _____Resolved
____Unresolved

Should you desire to pursue the matter further we suggest that you
contact one of the agencies listed below.

Small Claims Court Santa Clara County
408.370.4440 (Advisory Line)

State Contractors Board
800.321.2752 (License Inquire)
916.255.3900 (Live Person)

Consumer Affairs State of California
800.344.9940 (Recorded Information)
916.445.1254 (Live Operators)

District Attorney of Santa Clara County
408.792.2880

(408) 278-7400
BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU®
Serving Businesses & Consumers in Santa Clara, Santa Cruz,
Monterey & San Benito Counties

------------------------------
2100 Forest Avenue, Suite 110,
San Jose, California 95128
(408) 278-7400
Fax (408) 278-7444
www.bbbsilicon.org
<<<<<<<< END QUOTE >>>>>>>>

As you can see I have quite a few options, but the one I like the most
is filing a class action lawsuit. (remember Newcom?)

I will also contact the retailer from whom I purchased this DVD player
(Newegg).

Anyone intersted in pursuing a class action lawsuit against LITEON,
please email me at (e-mail address removed)

Regards,
Ex-loyal Lite-On customer.

Stacey

Jan said:
I'm just wondering how much this cd/dvd rom drive is worth?

And that they didn't even try to get it replaced by the retailer first?
I'm amazed at how people WANT to take the path of most resistance. I had a
Mobo that was DOA from newegg and the -first- thing I did was contact them
about RMA, they even have an online way to do this that keeps track of your
purchases which are still under warranty etc. It was painless and only cost
me shipping back. This person refused to contact the retailer and insisted
on trying to get it replaced direct by lite-on.

ToolPackinMama

Stacey said:
And that they didn't even try to get it replaced by the retailer first?
I'm amazed at how people WANT to take the path of most resistance. I had a
Mobo that was DOA from newegg and the -first- thing I did was contact them
about RMA, they even have an online way to do this that keeps track of your
purchases which are still under warranty etc. It was painless and only cost
me shipping back. This person refused to contact the retailer and insisted
on trying to get it replaced direct by lite-on.

When components are shipped via mail, UPS, or FedEx, they are carefully
packed (one hopes) by the vendor, and then they are subjected to lots of
abuse by mail, UPS, or FedEx. Damage during shipping is common.

If you ordered something and it arrives with the box looking abused, you
can simply refuse the package, if you meet the guy at the door. You can
also report the item as damaged or DOA and virtually all vendors will
replace it if you follow proper RMA procedures.

Al Dykes

When components are shipped via mail, UPS, or FedEx, they are carefully
packed (one hopes) by the vendor, and then they are subjected to lots of
abuse by mail, UPS, or FedEx. Damage during shipping is common.

If you ordered something and it arrives with the box looking abused, you
can simply refuse the package, if you meet the guy at the door. You can
also report the item as damaged or DOA and virtually all vendors will
replace it if you follow proper RMA procedures.

It's not hard to package something that weighs about a pound well
enough to survive UPS and Fedex handling. Companies like NewEgg ship
hundreds of boxes every day. If they were doing something wrong the
return rate would clue them in, and they'd change their packaging.

Roger M

No said:
This is a follow up on my recent posting in the subject.

As I said there, I contacted the BBB and this is the nicely printed
letter I received in reply (again, the letter is copied VERBATIM,
except for my full name and other personal details) :

<< snipped the quote >>>

Yep the BBB is all but worthless. Contact the state attorney generals
office in the state of the company's us home office and request a
complaint form. Fill it out completely, the state attorney generals office
has to look into all complaints and the company cannot ignore that. ****
the pussyfooting around about it. When I have a legitimate complaint about
a company's conduct that's what I do. It works.

Roger

AJ

Yep the BBB is all but worthless. Contact the state attorney generals
office in the state of the company's us home office and request a.....

Well most importantly contact your States Office of the Attorney
General. Since that's where the offense occured. It only takes 5
minutes to file a complaint online and gets their attention fast.
List by state:
http://tinyurl.com/2qxhv

rotor

[...]

Is it all worth it, Just go and get a new drive and forget about it
I mean they are as cheap as chips these days!

Rotor:-

Stacey

ToolPackinMama wrote:

When components are shipped via mail, UPS, or FedEx, they are carefully
packed (one hopes) by the vendor, and then they are subjected to lots of
abuse by mail, UPS, or FedEx. Damage during shipping is common.

If you ordered something and it arrives with the box looking abused, you
can simply refuse the package, if you meet the guy at the door. You can
also report the item as damaged or DOA and virtually all vendors will
replace it if you follow proper RMA procedures.

Exactly yet this guy tries to do it direct to lite-on, doesn't get the
responce he expects (they are probably set up to work with vendors?) then
gets the BBB involved etc and still has a broken drive after hours of
screwing around!

Stacey

Roger said:
<< snipped the quote >>>

Yep the BBB is all but worthless. Contact the state attorney generals
office in the state of the company's us home office and request a
complaint form. Fill it out completely, the state attorney generals office
has to look into all complaints and the company cannot ignore that. ****
the pussyfooting around about it. When I have a legitimate complaint about
a company's conduct that's what I do. It works.

Or just fill out an RMA form at newegg and get another drive on the way..

Stacey

rotor wrote:

Is it all worth it, Just go and get a new drive and forget about it
I mean they are as cheap as chips these days!

What's comical is all this guy needed to do was RMA it at newegg where he
bought it!

Al

Or just fill out an RMA form at newegg and get another drive on the way..

If it was an OEM drive then Liteon has no responsibility. If it was a
retail box, they would still be the last place you would want to go.

Computer companies like Liteon replace defective merchandise with
REFURBISHED drives at their option. I had this happen with a Memorex
drive. I sent them one that was in perfect condition and they returned
one that looked like it had been in a demolition derby but technically
it "worked."

I have never heard of Newegg refusing to make an exact exchange.
That's where you want to go.

no one

Consider a rectal cranial inversion....or buy from a reputable vendor
and this is a non issue.... I doubt anyone who would fall for your
inuendo!

No Longer a LiteOn Customer

Stacey said:
And that they didn't even try to get it replaced by the retailer first?
I'm amazed at how people WANT to take the path of most resistance. I had a
Mobo that was DOA from newegg and the -first- thing I did was contact them
about RMA, they even have an online way to do this that keeps track of your
purchases which are still under warranty etc. It was painless and only cost
me shipping back. This person refused to contact the retailer and insisted
on trying to get it replaced direct by lite-on.

You still don't get it, do you?

It's not about the $140 (+ additional expenses) anymore. It is about
CUSTOMER SERVICE and WARRANTY. It is about HONORING a contract. Today
it's me with LITEON, tomorrow it's YOU with about every company you
are going to deal with. It is about consumer rights. Yes, YOUR rights.
If LITEON gets away with this, why shouldn't other companies follow?

Have a nice day :)

BarryNL

No said:
You still don't get it, do you?

It's not about the $140 (+ additional expenses) anymore. It is about
CUSTOMER SERVICE and WARRANTY. It is about HONORING a contract. Today
it's me with LITEON, tomorrow it's YOU with about every company you
are going to deal with. It is about consumer rights. Yes, YOUR rights.
If LITEON gets away with this, why shouldn't other companies follow?

What contract is that precisely? You bought the DVD from newegg -
therefore your contract is with them. They have a responsibility to
provide you with a working DVD for your money.

Newegg bought the DVD from Lite-On - they have the contract with
Lite-On, any replacement from Lite-On will depend on the terms of the
contract between Lite-On and newegg.

Only the people who took your money have a responsibility to provide you
with a working product. Why on earth are you trying to fight this out
with a third-party?

KCB

No Longer a LiteOn Customer said:
Stacey <[email protected]> wrote in message

You still don't get it, do you?

It's not about the $140 (+ additional expenses) anymore. It is about
CUSTOMER SERVICE and WARRANTY. It is about HONORING a contract. Today
it's me with LITEON, tomorrow it's YOU with about every company you
are going to deal with. It is about consumer rights. Yes, YOUR rights.
If LITEON gets away with this, why shouldn't other companies follow?

Have a nice day :)

No, *YOU* don't get it! It's about you being an idiot for not following the
proper return channels. If you had, you would have probably had your new
drive already. It's obvious that you don't care about getting a new drive;
you only want to create a sensation, out of nothing, for whatever unknown
reason. Well, nobody's biting here.

Roger M

BarryNL said:
What contract is that precisely? You bought the DVD from newegg -
therefore your contract is with them. They have a responsibility to
provide you with a working DVD for your money.

Not true

Newegg bought the DVD from Lite-On - they have the contract with
Lite-On, any replacement from Lite-On will depend on the terms of the
contract between Lite-On and newegg.

Not true

Only the people who took your money have a responsibility to provide you
with a working product. Why on earth are you trying to fight this out
with a third-party?

Third party. You must be dense. It says right on Newegg's sight that it's a manufacturers warranty. Yes
I read their rma policy but it's still a manufacturer's warranty.

BarryNL

Roger said:
BarryNL wrote:

Not true

Not true? Are you seriously suggesting that Newegg has no responsibility
to provide a working DVD if one has been paid for?

Not true? Are you seriously suggesting that if Newegg/Lite-On have a
contract that says, for example, that Newegg will accept 1% faulty
drives that this has no bearing on the issue?
Third party. You must be dense. It says right on Newegg's sight that it's a manufacturers warranty. Yes
I read their rma policy but it's still a manufacturer's warranty.

And you must be an uncouth twat. Where do you get off unwarranted
throwing insults in a discussion. Grow up!

Roger M

BarryNL said:
Not true? Are you seriously suggesting that Newegg has no responsibility
to provide a working DVD if one has been paid for?

Exactly, warranties are the manufacturers responsibility. Newegg doeos what they do as part of their customer
service. The manufacturer provides the product warranty.

Not true? Are you seriously suggesting that if Newegg/Lite-On have a
contract that says, for example, that Newegg will accept 1% faulty
drives that this has no bearing on the issue?

So now your going to guess what Newegg's *deal* with the manufacturer is? What happens after they have had
enough returns that the theoretical number has been surpassed. Like any business Newegg can disclaim the
warranty and let the manufacturer handle it if they want to.

And you must be an uncouth twat. Where do you get off unwarranted
throwing insults in a discussion. Grow up!

another old saying comes to mind, "the truth hurts" your response kind of proves it.