Linux Distribution Chooser

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The biggest difference between Mint and Ubuntu is not the wallpaper, it is the multimedia functionality that you can use with Mint right out of the box, for geeks sure it means nothing, but for a newbee it is the major factor. Besides Mint has an interface more similar to Windows than Ubuntu is. So someone who is new to Linux is likely going to find it easier navigating in Mint.

Sometimes one has to see things from other peoples eyes and that is when we realize we sometimes assume too much.

Reaction score
:blush:I have downloaded Mint but as yet not burnt it onto DVD, once I have plucked up courage and done that I think I will run it from the DVD until I get used to it before I put it on the C drive

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Quad I am reading through:cheers: it now

Good Luck and let us know how it goes. :nod:

Better you create a new thread where everything can be discussed about your issues exclusively ;)

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Well they missed mine by a mile but they got the second choice spot on.

My first choice is Sabayon KDE 64bit and that was not even listed.

The test gave me Mandriva as first choice, Kubuntu as second and that is bang on as that's what I'm typing on, and Fedora as third and I've never even considered that one.

Makes me wonder if they are aware of Sabayon even? Failing that I would have expected to see Gentoo listed but it wasn't.

Reaction score
Hi the Linux gurus I am having a problem with installing Mint 64bit 10 on my PC. I have downloaded the DVD and have purchased the dongle from the Linux UK online store and cannot get ether to boot. My first boot device is the D drive CD/DVD and my second is USB and third is C drive. When I switch on the PC I get the P5Q DeLux motherboard splash screen with several options, one of then is to boot into the OS and gives you a count down at the end of the countdown if you haven't booted into the OS it should boot into the first/second boot device but does not but boots into the OS any help is welcome as I am pulling what I have left of my hair Out.:cry: You don't want to see a elderly old man burst into tears do you:cry:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What was the file extension of the Linux Mint download? It was probably 'iso' in which case you need software capable of burning an iso file to create a disk.

Nero and Ashampoo will both do this.

Did you burn the iso file to a disk or just copy the iso file to a disk. If the latter it won't work.

It's also worth checking the download against the md5 sum number provided at the download site to make sure the download isn't corrupted.

You can use a free program named 'Digest It' to check the md5 sum number against the download.

Reaction score
What was the file extension of the Linux Mint download? It was probably 'iso' in which case you need software capable of burning an iso file to create a disk.

Nero and Ashampoo will both do this.

Did you burn the iso file to a disk or just copy the iso file to a disk. If the latter it won't work.

It's also worth checking the download against the md5 sum number provided at the download site to make sure the download isn't corrupted.

You can use a free program named 'Digest It' to check the md5 sum number against the download.

Thanks for that floppy I will give that a go and let you know the result
:thumb:

Reaction score
:bow:Hi floppy I had a hell of a time and eventualy I have had to re flash theBIOS by taking the battery out and shorting out. All seems OK now and booting up from the CD/DVD drives. I think I will give it a rest and install Mint tomorow.:thumb:

Reaction score
You can use a free program named 'Digest It' to check the md5 sum number against the download

Oh Thanks for that flops I Googled it and turns out to be a colon clensing pill:lol:
is there a hidden meaning there:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hi there Mr booty neck, you didn't reflash the bios, you reset it ;) You don't have to take the battery out, you can just (usually) use a motherboard jumper to short the CMOS chip for about five seconds then put the jumper back into normal position.

Colon clearance? :eek: Don't need that, lamb vindaloo, 6 pints of Guinness and a triple creme de menthe usually take care of that score.

If you're only booting from a disc or usb stick to run a live distro don't bother with the md5 sum check unless the distro doesn't work.

Reaction score
Cheers floppy I think I wouldg go for the vindaoo too. Let you know tomorow how I get on, brain is a bit tired at the moment

Ask a Question