Linux Distribution Chooser

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Linux Distribution Chooser is a simple way of finding out which Distro may be most suitable for you. The test you take asks you some very simple questions and based on your input comes up with few choices of Linux Distros for you - nifty!

The test will take less than five minutes and can be taken by beginners as well as advance user's as well.

Linux Distribution Chooser

I took the test myself just to see what it comes up with and sure enough it was on the spot with the distro's that I am using and may have choosen for myself from the five it came up with.

Edit (September 7, 2009): If you have never used Linux and are completely new to this OS you can go with the following Linux Distribution which is the most user friendly and work out of the box without giving you the newbie headaches. I have personally tested it in my rig and can safely say that it does a fantastic job of working out of the box,

Linux Mint 7 "Gloria"

(My thanks to Taffycat for pointing to the link of Mint step by step guide, a great find I must say)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well oi'll be bumswizzled, it picked my two favourites and in order of preference:

1) Mint
2) Suse

Third was Ubuntu though when in fact I would have picked PC Linux OS

Still, very good though :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
bumswizzled

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Because Ubuntu is the best starting point for a lot of people perhaps? Thnaks for sharing this nice information...

- Spam links removed - V_R

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Kubuntu, Susie,Fedora were what I got and I would not consider any of them. All the choices I was shown were all linked to commercial enterprises You would be better of going to Distro Watch and having a good read. ;)

Reaction score
:thumb:Hi You all, I have tried Linux Distro Chooser and it advised Mint would be best for me. I have tried Ubuntu and did not like it. Is it posible to download Mint onto an external drive so that I do not have dual boot as I have a spare 80gig drive. Should I start a new topic on this as I will have to be guided through installation etc as the old grey matter don't work to well, it's me age, and have passed sell by date.:bow:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
:thumb:Hi You all, I have tried Linux Distro Chooser and it advised Mint would be best for me. I have tried Ubuntu and did not like it. Is it posible to download Mint onto an external drive so that I do not have dual boot as I have a spare 80gig drive. Should I start a new topic on this as I will have to be guided through installation etc as the old grey matter don't work to well, it's me age, and have passed sell by date.:bow:

I do know Mint runs as a live distro booted from a CD/DVD so as long as your machine can boot from a USB stick it shouldn't be a problem.

I think the latest full Mint DVD 64 Bit distro measures just short of 800Mb.

Reaction score
Oh thanks for that flopsy. so I could download and burn a dvd or download and load onto a hard drive then.
I would like to eventualy stop being reliant on Windows if I could and just use a another OS. If I were to just ule Mint how about games would they run on Mint or would I still use Windows for that.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Oh thanks for that flopsy. so I could download and burn a dvd or download and load onto a hard drive then.
I would like to eventualy stop being reliant on Windows if I could and just use a another OS. If I were to just ule Mint how about games would they run on Mint or would I still use Windows for that.

I think you will like Linux Mint a lot. It is easy to use and mostly works out of the box. Flops suggestion of burning a DVD and running it as a live distro is a good start.

Make sure you burn it as ISO and at speed no more than 4x on your burner, that way you will have smooth sailing.

As for games Linux offers plenty of them but they may not be the exact same as you get for windows but plenty to choose from.

Reaction score
:bow:Thanks for the help Quadophile, I will get into and let you and floppybootstomp know how I get on, so fingers crossed.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good luck Bootsy ;)

Gotta be honest here, when it comes to games Linux is poor compared to Windows.

The platform with the most games titles available is Windows although a great deal of those Windows games Titles will not play in Windows 7.

Then there's consoles. Keyboard and mouse not normally used so that rather fubars fps's.

Increasingly games makers are designing with consoles primarily in mind and then porting the games to Windows. This is not usually a good thing, especially when it comes to Save systems within games. It's rare to find a major selling game that will run natively in Linux.

Here's a taster of the sort of games available for Linux, although this dates from 2007:

http://rangit.com/software/top-8-linux-games-of-2007/

A Google search will turn up more lists.

If you like gaming I'd suggest dual booting Linux and Windows. In my opinion, frustrating as it is in some aspects, Windows on a PC is the best gaming platform.

As at this time, in my opinion, Linux cannot be taken seriously as a major gaming platform.

About the only advantage with Linux games, however, is that the majority of them are free.

Reaction score
:DThanks for the link floppybootstomp quite a list to be getting started with thanks, and free is good as well now that cash is going to be tight. Once again thanks. If I do dual boot how much partition should I give to Mint.This is my C drive unused space 1.09 tb out of 1.36 tb.:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, depending on how much video,music/documents you're going to want to store within Linux, I reckon about 200Gb - 300Gb would be good.(This is being a little over-generous but I figure better too much than too little).

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

You do realise that Mint is just Ubuntu with a green wallpaper :fool:

Ask a Question