links won't open unless IE already running

Using XP Pro and IE6 with all latest patches.

I click on links (emails or Quick Launch), and IE will not open. Instead,
the "Open With/Choose the Program" dialog opens. Internet Explorer is not
among the listed programs.

I have tried "regsvr32 urlmon.dll", "regsvr shdocvw.dll" et al, but no effect.

I have tried "Reset Web Settings", but no effect.

Any ideas?

I didn't clarify sufficiently, but yes, IE was already set to the default.
However, by following these links suggested by Don Varnau, and subsequent
downstream links, the real answer lay in repairing the registry.

The fix was to make sure that EVERY possible page type that IE is supposed
to handle (http, https, mhtp, etc, etc) is actually fully registered to IE
*in the registry*. Setting the file associations in Explorer > Tools >
Options > File Associations was NOT sufficient.

I found that, in my registry, about 15 or 20 Open Command calls actually
read something like .....iexplore.ex~ -nohome or iexplore.ex~ %1.

I changed every such occurrence of "iexplore.ex~" back to "iexplore.exe" and
the links now work as designed.

This particular machine had been used by a systems builder prior to my
getting it. However things got messed up, they must have been messed up on
purpose.

Thanks for the lead.

=========================

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Make sure that IE is the default browser:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm tips # 7, 41, 50.

For other possibilities, such as a broken file association for URL: HTTP see
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/48.html
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"coxrail" wrote in message
Using XP Pro and IE6 with all latest patches.

I click on links (emails or Quick Launch), and IE will not open. Instead,
the "Open With/Choose the Program" dialog opens. Internet Explorer is not
among the listed programs.

I have tried "regsvr32 urlmon.dll", "regsvr shdocvw.dll" et al, but no effect.

I have tried "Reset Web Settings", but no effect.

Any ideas?

Don Varnau

You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted out.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]