link needed to stand alone browser download

RoseW

I have a friend's laptop here-repairing it from an invasion. She got
hooked up, went e-mailing and got FunLove and some other dandies.
Essentially wiped out .exe files. I've got things operating but NO
Internet Explorer exe file is in the folder after a reinstall from the
folder on hd-Win98 setup-cab file It did have IE6 previously but it
only has the folder and supporting files but no iexplorer.exe.
I do not want to hook this laptop into my home network.

Is there a site to download Internet Explorer and OE then I would burn
to a cd- install on her machine. I went to MS downloads and a small set
up file downloaded. I don't understand if I use that to download and
save a copy of IE.

Rose

Alan Edwards

PA Bear

In Win98, you can overinstall IE6:

First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer (includes
your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline).
Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all the parts you
use, including OE (but none you didn't originally download) and overinstall.
Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the computer.

Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
Windows Update for additional updates and patches you may need.

RoseW

PA Bear wrote:
| In Win98, you can overinstall IE6:
|
| First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer
| (includes your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going
| offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all
| the parts you use, including OE (but none you didn't originally
download)
| and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the computer.
|
| Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
| Windows Update for additional updates and patches you may need.
|

| RoseW wrote:
|| I have a friend's laptop here-repairing it from an invasion. She got
|| hooked up, went e-mailing and got FunLove and some other dandies.
|| Essentially wiped out .exe files. I've got things operating but NO
|| Internet Explorer exe file is in the folder after a reinstall from
the
|| folder on hd-Win98 setup-cab file It did have IE6 previously but it
|| only has the folder and supporting files but no iexplorer.exe.
|| I do not want to hook this laptop into my home network.
|| Is there a site to download Internet Explorer and OE then I would
burn
|| to a cd- install on her machine. I went to MS downloads and a small
set
|| up file downloaded. I don't understand if I use that to download and
|| save a copy of IE.
|| Rose

This Win98 Compaq Armada laptop is not online. I'm not hooking it into
my network in case every remnant of this FunLove-4499 is not gone. It
appears to be clean at the moment.
The cleaning result is that every .exe file is deleted so any .exe needs
to be reinstalled (This meant that after the first virus scan, clean
that Windows Explorer was gone so NO desktop.)
I got it going by booting to DOS to do the reinstall using the copy of
the cd on the hard drive

There is a high speed connection at the local library and the user of
this laptop can go there to do the updates once I have IE and OE in
place.

When on the library network does the AV need to be shut down while
checking at the Windows Update?

RoseW

RoseW

Don Varnau wrote:
| Hi,
| 174680- Downloading Internet Explorer For A Different Operating
System:
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=174680
|
| Even easier...
| http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/microsoft/ie/ A one file download.
|
| Redundancy... Firefox or Mozilla http://www.mozilla.com/products/
|
| Hope this helps,
| Don
| [MS MVP- IE]
|

| "RoseW" <wdmn[at]NShurontel.on.ca> wrote in message
| ||<snip>
|| Is there a site to download Internet Explorer and OE then I would
burn
|| to a cd- install on her machine. I went to MS downloads and a small
set
|| up file downloaded. I don't understand if I use that to download and
|| save a copy of IE.
|| Rose

At the microsoft site there is a run command that gave me a choice to
just download Win98. I'm downloading 19Mb rather than 77Mb

Thanks for the link.
Rose

PA Bear

RoseW said:
This Win98 Compaq Armada laptop is not online. I'm not hooking it into
my network in case every remnant of this FunLove-4499 is not gone. It
appears to be clean at the moment.
The cleaning result is that every .exe file is deleted so any .exe needs
to be reinstalled (This meant that after the first virus scan, clean
that Windows Explorer was gone so NO desktop.)
I got it going by booting to DOS to do the reinstall using the copy of
the cd on the hard drive

There is a high speed connection at the local library and the user of
this laptop can go there to do the updates once I have IE and OE in
place.

When on the library network does the AV need to be shut down while
checking at the Windows Update?

If time isn't of the essence, you can order IE6 SP1 on CD (US &CA only):
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ordercd/ie6sp1.asp

Otherwise, see:

Downloading Internet Explorer for a different operating system:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=174680

If you'll be using a WinXP or Win2K machine to download it, see:

Download-only installation of Internet Explorer 6.0, Internet Explorer 5.5,
or Internet Explorer 5.1 [using] Windows XP or in Windows 2000:
When on the library network does the AV need to be shut down while
checking at the Windows Update?

No but I'd strongly recommend disabling the AV and close all other programs
before installing IE6 SP1 on the Win98 machine, and when installing post-SP1
updates on it.

RoseW

PA Bear wrote:
| RoseW wrote:
||| In Win98, you can overinstall IE6:
||| First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer
||| (includes your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going
||| offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select
all
||| the parts you use, including OE (but none you didn't originally
||| download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the
||| computer.
||| Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in
at
||| Windows Update for additional updates and patches you may need.
|| <snip>
Rose wrote
|| There is a high speed connection at the local library and the user of
|| this laptop can go there to do the updates once I have IE and OE in
|| place.
|| When on the library network does the AV need to be shut down while
|| checking at the Windows Update?
|
| If time isn't of the essence, you can order IE6 SP1 on CD (US &CA
only):
| http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ordercd/ie6sp1.asp
|
| Otherwise, see:
|
| Downloading Internet Explorer for a different operating system:
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=174680
|
| If you'll be using a WinXP or Win2K machine to download it, see:
|
| Download-only installation of Internet Explorer 6.0, Internet Explorer
| 5.5, or Internet Explorer 5.1 [using] Windows XP or in Windows 2000:
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257249/EN-US/
|
|| When on the library network does the AV need to be shut down while
|| checking at the Windows Update?
|
| No but I'd strongly recommend disabling the AV and close all other
| programs before installing IE6 SP1 on the Win98 machine, and when
| installing post-SP1 updates on it.

I'm just reporting in that I got the download for win98 (19Mb) burned to
Cd and put the Cd into the laptop tray for installation
I discovered that best results came from copying the whole download from
the CD to a new folder C:\Windows\Windows Update Files and installing
from there with the AV shut off.
The message about 'shut down your computer now 'didn't arrive although
new icons appeared on the desktop.
I shut it down totally and restarted THEN the system was updated and the
parts and pieces were in the correct spots.

The laptop owner didn't have the Win98se CD so I was doing the best I
could with what was available. Now the upside is I have a copy of IE6
available .
She can do the rest of the updates using the town library system.
Thanks for the assistance.
Rose